1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Constant need to do something

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by halafi, Mar 16, 2014.

1. halafi

halafi New Member

Hello all,

I was wondering if somebody could tell me how does the "constant urge/need to be doing something" (whether it is just watching a movie or playing a video game, reading a book, etc.) fits into the whole TMS thing and what should I be doing instead.

I guess I have this daily routine (listed are activities taking most of my time):
    • get up
    • eat
    • watch movies, play games
    • exercise
    • eat
    • school work
    • go for a walk (usually I'll go buy one piece of fruit to some distant store)
    • eat
    • meditate, journal (quite new)
    • watch movies, play games
    • get down (go to bed)
    I don't consider the mind-entertaining activities important (maybe I'm just bored by their repetition and a lack of variety), are they just patterns to not be with unpleasant emotions? What should I be doing instead?

I guess part of my "problem" is too much free time and not spending it how I would want. Will the daily routine soon change? Sure, it is constantly changing a bit, and I'll soon finish school and start working, but will I ever be happy with how the daily routine will look?

I'm looking for some ideas and if I need to learn how to just relax and lie on the bed doing nothing, or something like that.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like a pretty good routine to me. Maybe do something in preparation for what real life will be like after graduation, like taking tennis or golf lessons, or a part-time job. What's your major? Short spurts of sex can help for relaxation and to break up the monotony of the daily routine. It can be meditative but doesn't count much for exercise. G'luck--and I think you're the first person who's never mentioned their TMS SYMPTOM! I think that's probably a good thing!

3. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

I view Time as finite, with each day possibly my last. I evaluate each day, and each goal, with this awareness. Life is a blend of taking care of ourselves, so that we can help take care with others. Your list does not mention interactions with a community. I watch movies and read books and play games. I also teach music and yoga, massage my grandmothers feet, offer my services to a volunteer fire department auxiliary, and various other interactions outside my own, personal space.

Do not mistake life-events for Life itself. Life is all around you, and it is an integral part of you.

At the end of the day ... ask yourself if you made a difference, even in small ways. Did you cause someone to smile? Did you attend your needs? Did you share your open heart with another? Do not criticize yourself, just make note. And set intentions for the following day.

Any joy you feel, that is already inside you ... waiting for you to unlayer the clutter.

Most of all ...believe in yourself.

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

4. halafi

halafi New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I major in computer science, finishing bachelor studies this spring. So I wanna wait to get a job after I finish the final exam and I should procrastinate less and study more. I definitely want to engage in more activities, however everything costs money and I don't like to spend them. I have decent savings, yet I am like Scrooge McDuck (ok, not that decent savings), this will hopefuly change with some income soon. I realize this is probably the last time in my life with quite a lot of free time on my hands.

Another thing is that I have a very low social life and haven't mastered meeting new people without alcohol or other substances yet. Not sure with what community I could interact.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, halifi. I think your daily routine is fine, but also like the suggestions you're getting from others
    on adding doing something for others. You could drop the morning or afternoon movies and games
    and replace the time with reading. Books on meditation, relaxation, and the Bible.

At night, watching movies or video games that are exciting or violent can keep your mind from being
    in a relaxed, quiet state before bedtime. Loud rock music also could make it hard for you to be in a
    calm state for sleep.

The walk could be really good, especially before bedtime.

In college, I used to take a walk with a friend on campus for at least half an hour.
    It gave my lungs fresh air and relaxed me.

Good luck. You're on a healthy path.