1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Constant distractions during the workday--how to be mindful?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by stayfit65, Sep 3, 2013.

1. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Hi guys,

I work in an environment where I am constantly being pulled in all directions during the day. Just when I start to focus on something, the proverbial rug gets pulled out from under me and I have to shift gears and focus on something or someone else. It is a constant battle for me to stay in and enjoy the moment. Does anyone here have a similar environment, where they feel external stressors all day, and how do you handle it? I really don't want to get out of my job, but I also want to heal completely. My battle is constantly feeling like I have to keep up with things and try to get ahead of the work...I try to have the "one thing at a time" mentality, but I usually don't succeed because the phones are ringing, people are talking, and all the while I am trying to do my job accurately. Any thoughts or suggestions? I try to take a quiet lunch so I can sort of decompress from it...I like the job, but it can be overwhelming. I need to work--we can't make it financially unless I do. I would appreciate any books on CD that I could listen to...hard for me to have time to read at home, because my family needs my attention. But in the car to and from work is MY time. So I was hoping someone could give me their favorite CD books so that I could listen in my car...thx, guys.
    Stayfit

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Stress proof Your Brain by Rick Hanson is supposed to be very good! I have bought it, but not yet made the time to listen to it! Your post has given me the kick I needed - I will plug into it today...
    Good luck, I think your quiet lunch idea is good. Perhaps you can escape into the loos or a cupboard somewhere for a mini-meditation, mid morning and/or afternoon? Even small amounts of peace in a busy day are said to help - and they make us better at our jobs - so we needn't feel guilty!!

Stella likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Stayfit65... I know what you mean about constant distractions during the work day.
    My boss is trying to find new ways of making money and is a book and E-book publisher.
    He assigns me several research and writing projects to help him work on, but every few days
    tells me to work on something new he just thought of. I'm to work on that for a while and then get back
    to the other projects. It's a roller-coaster job but I have to say yes. Somehow, I'm finding time to take
    breaks and meditate or just close my eyes and breathe deeply. I work at home so he doesn't know.

I once worked for a big insurance company and had a desk in a room with about eight others.
    Phones were ringing constantly, everyone talking so their voices could be heard. It was a circus.
    I used to sometimes take my work and find an empty office to get some of it done.

I also took a sandwich and apple with me and drove to some woods and a river and
    had myself a private picnic for lunch. It helped recharge my batteries.

4. Emily

Emily Peer Supporter

I recently started using the app "Headspace." There is a free version that provides you with 10 minute meditations for 10 days. The nice thing is you can always find 10 minutes to fit in a meditation that can help you stay centered for the rest of the day! Although not the safest for driving, you could try to get to the office 10 minutes early, park your car in a quiet space and do the daily meditation. Or you could try to fit them in during lunch or an afternoon 'coffee break.' I've also downloaded the app "Gratitude365" this past week. It gives you space to list (at least) one thing per day you are grateful for and gives you a slot to put a picture so you can see all the things you are grateful for in a month. This really helps me slow down, just a bit, and appreciate the little things in life.

I'm very happy you asked this question, as I'm always looking for new ways to add mindfulness practices to my daily life. Can't wait to hear others' thoughts!

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Good suggestions, Emily. "Headspace" sounds like we could all benefit from it.

"Gratitude365" too. Visualizing the things to be grateful for is a terrific idea.

Whether we work in an office or anywhere outside or inside the home, these "coffee breaks"
    could be better than the coffee.

6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Stayfit,
    Oh, wouldn't we all love to be able to retreat to a mountain top or deserted island in order to find the time and space to practice mindfulness and all the other techniques we know help us feel better! But, unfortunately most of us have these busy, messy, complicated lives. I admire your commitment and creativity in carving out some space for yourself. I will check out the Headspace app. I've tried the Gratitude one, but found I prefer keeping a journal.

My favorite audio books to listen to are by Eckhart Tolle--"The Power of Now" and "A New Earth". There is also a recording of one of his workshops called "The Art of Presence" that I especially love because he inserts a lot of humor into it. Enjoy!

7. tarala

tarala Well known member

Stayfit, I'm with Ellen on Eckhart Tolle, you can't go wrong with anything by him. I also have a lot of Abraham which I listen to in the car or on mp3, and those are really easy to download rather than buying a CD. I find listening as much as possible really helpful, it's like brainwashing (cleaning up all the crazy thinking, ha ha).