1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 Considering cardio but scared

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by yvettemariabetancourt, Apr 3, 2014.

1. yvettemariabetancourt

yvettemariabetancourt Peer Supporter

Herniated disc in Jan; Made a slow but good recovery over 8 weeks; Then last week, a ferocious relapse and asked for my 2nd epidural injection. I just could not stand the pain. I sensed I was going down a slippery slope. I decided to read Sarno's book and watch the DVD last week in repose. I have decided to try 30 day program and am going through this program and really loved the call in forum last night. Was surprised by how positive and articulate everyone was.

I feel good even after a few days, but I know there are challenges ahead as I am realizing how little I know even about myself and this condition. I am only now starting to pay attention.

I feel I really need some general cardio exercise; the elliptical, walking something to release tension. I am pretty sure I am going to do it but any thoughts or support would be appreciated. Except for a herniated disc, I am healthy. I feel OK so I think its time, but still worried.

2. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

When it comes releasing negative tension in my experience there seems nothing better than physical exercise. I now run after six years of being afraid too.
    Baby steps is the way to do it. That may mean start walking and gradually build up to exercise bike,elliptical trainer, aerobics, running or whatever it is you enjoy. The key is to exercise for fitness and tension release not think about exercising to help your back pain. As you increase the intensity each week you will gain confidence that you are not broken and your belief in the tms diagnosis will also increase. If your like me you will feel soo much better after a good workout. I visualise negative energy releasing out of the pours of my skin as I sweat and every breath. Its not uncommon for me to feel really emotional especially when its a good intensive workout and sometimes I can end a run with tears in my eyes.

TOP TIP- read Dr sarnos 12 daily reminders a few times before you exercise.

3. yvettemariabetancourt

Thank you for the feedback. I love to exercise and I agree about emotions during exercise. I just let it be and it feels great when strong emotions do come. I printed daily tips.

4. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

A suggestion... Remember not to be focused on the outcome of your exercise. Whether you feel pain or not during the exercise or after tell yourself it doesn't matter.. What matters is that you did it. And keep doing it, again and again until there's no more fear. Fear is your enemy and must be replaced by faith.

Richsimm22 likes this.
  5. yvettebetancourt

yvettebetancourt New Member

Thank guys. 2 days at the gym so far, and ever workout starts with the body "acting up" but I kept going. It went away after about 10 minutes and especially when my heart rate was at a healthy level. It has felt amazing to sweat and move by body again. It has not hurt, but I am prepared for more acting up. Thanks for your words of support.

Richsimm22 likes this.
  6. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

Nice to hear yvette. Im glad you got started. Some days will be easier than others. Try not to worry about that just accept it and you will find you will be all the stronger the next time and take that as a positive.

7. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

Yvette - well done - I'm sure anyone who reads this will automatically feel equally proud and supportive of you - I certainly do.

I am in the same boat and still wussing out a little - I am wanting to swim more, but I think that my problem is that I originally started swimming almost exclusively to help my back. I remember having my gym induction around 2 1/2 half years ago and stating that I didn't even want to see the gym - I just wanted to swim to strengthen by back. I think I now associate swimming with my back as well. During swimming my back usually feels great, and immediately after. Later, when the muscles cool down, and the next day I am usually in a lot of pain. This is probably now a conditioned response that I need to work past.

This is the reason I want to start cycling - I haven't done this yet to 'fix' my back, so I want to start doing it just to exercise and enjoy it. From my limited understanding so far (TMS personality trait! not thinking my info will be good enough...) it seems this viewpoint for exercise is the most important - exercise for enjoyment, movement and overall health.

I am in awe of people who can do this when in pain. Steve Ozanich's story in his book (I'm about half way through) is seriously inspirational - how on earth people can just push through the pain and not worry about it still beyond me and definitely my biggest hurdle in TMS healing.

We're all in this together! Good luck beerbuds

Adam

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve says don't exercise (swim, etc.) thinking you're doing it to strengthen the back or anywhere else.
    Just do it for general good health and it helps heal faster.

He was a tough guy. We have to all try to be as tough.

9. yvettemariabetancourt

Hi Adam, Your swimming post was interesting. I began swimming in early March FOR my back and ended up in the emergency room 3 days later. My PT had advised against as not stable enough he said, in the early stages of recovery. It felt so good, light and wonderful to stretch OUT. However, it became hell in a few days. Not sure if conditioned response or not. Swimming will NOT be a part of my program for now, unless in a mountain lake or the ocean for fun . I hope to resume it one day, but need to focus on my "safe zone" initially. I am OK with that for now.