1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Conscious vs Subconscious

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by PAwoodchopper, May 12, 2017.

1. PAwoodchopper

PAwoodchopper New Member

I've been working on TMS for a few weeks now. Read Sarnos' Healing Back Pain 6 weeks ago, really started doing more research in the last 3 weeks. I'm caught a bit on when an issue is sufficiently 'handled' and when to keep focusing on it. What I mean by that is I know I have some the identifying personality traits, perfectionist, goodist, legalist specifically. Is it enough to have identified these traits and then move on to keep searching for other problems, or does one have to keep digging? As Sarno points out, these are not bad traits to have in many ways so I can't change them per say, but not sure what more I need to do.

The same idea applies to some of my repressed emotions. I've done some journal writing and allowed myself to be really frank with my writing. It has uncovered some stressors for sure. It would seem that once uncovered those ideas have been brought to the conscious mind, so is that enough? Much of what I have uncovered is in relation to myself, things I feel I have sort of always known but never really addressed. I'm the type to just bottle emotions and walk away rather than really deal with feelings, especially if it involves a disagreement with friends or loved ones. I am also aware that I am harder on myself than anyone else could ever be, so I am working toward being nicer to myself. Its a struggle though to find a balance of self motivation but not being critical of oneself at the same time. I'm curious how others have progressed after bringing to light some of these issues.

2. Aurora

Aurora Peer Supporter

I suggest you read my latest post if you haven't already read it. All that digging and looking for stressors just adds stress.