1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Confused: re Unlearn Your Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by John’74, Feb 25, 2018.

1. John’74

John’74 Peer Supporter

In Dr. Schubiner’s Unlearn Your Pain, chapter 7, am I supposed to psychoanalyze myself?? That seems kinda difficult??

andy64tms likes this.
  2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

What part are you referencing? Is it the exercise of writing out past issues and then identifying the emotions that came up (listed underneath them)? I think it's meant as a self-reflective exercise, though some people might bring it to therapy and integrate it into their session if they need to. No special psychoanalysis skills are required!

JanAtheCPA and andy64tms like this.
  3. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

Hi John ’74,

Welcome,

The answer to your questions is yes and yes. I did some of the exercises in “Unlearn your Pain”, they are very good. The idea of recognizing our internal selves is factored into all TMS approaches.

This seems to go against the grain of our egos that keep us “supposedly safe” in our current existence. There are a huge range of therapies available here, and on the internet. It is the internal struggle and conflict that almost all humans carry to one degree or other that we have only to understand to be well.

You have already jumped the first hurdle to recovery by posting on this web site. The second hurdle is overcoming the second one that is the fear of self discovery.

Imagine going to a psychiatrist. The first question he asks is: “what’s troubling you”? TMS learning does the same thing, so you can skip the psychiatrist if you want. Stay with us, question and study, try, fail, understand and succeed, and you will be well.

PS. I have nothing against psychiatrists.

Hi Mindbody..

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Lainey and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. John’74

John’74 Peer Supporter

Yes,that’s it. Ok,thanks

andy64tms likes this.
  5. John’74

John’74 Peer Supporter

Thanks for the great advice!

andy64tms and JanAtheCPA like this.