1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 16 Confiding in others

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by zebutter, Jun 21, 2016.

1. zebutter

zebutter Newcomer

Since starting this program have you told anyone about your condition and TMS? Why or Why not? If you have how did they react?

I've talked about my condition and TMS with my girlfriend for extended periods of time. She is the only person who I've told so far who is 100% receptive to the idea. I think the reason why I'm comfortable to go in-depth about the details of TMS with her is because I'm not as afraid to talk about my emotions with her, compared to other people I may know, including family members. She has been extremely supportive of me, and she is also interested enough in TMS theories to want to check out Dr. Sarno's books.

I've tried talking about TMS with my parents before, especially since my father suffers from mild back pain, but they weren't very receptive to the idea. I was brought up in a family where we don't talk about our emotions; we're all pretty stoic individuals and we also tend to avoid conflict. I was also brought up with the mentality that bad emotions like anger and sadness must be avoided or hidden. I think out of my entire family of 5, only my brother is capable of expressing his emotions, and even then, he often does it poorly. I believe this upbringing may be a huge factor in why I have developed TMS. Now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever stopped to address and just feel my emotions, especially the negative ones. I've learned my whole life that I don't have to deal with my emotions if I just brush them away.

Funnily enough, I can remember one of the first few times I ever threw a tantrum. I was immediately told that it was wrong to feel and react in a manner like that, and was subsequently punished for that outburst. Kind of makes sense why I'm always so shelled-up now.

Regardless of my upbringing and inability to deal with my emotions, I fully (consciously) believe in the TMS diagnosis as it has been the only treatment that has worked. I sometimes even feel the pain and numbness rising up and out of my body as I focus on my emotions instead. It's honestly pretty amazing how well this works.

I don't really have a point that I'm trying to make. Just thought it'd be nice to get this out there.

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Glad to hear that your girlfriend is so receptive. Not many people who do not suffer from TMS are capable of understanding.

3. Ines

Ines Well known member

Not everyone is ready to hear about TMS. In fact, Dr. Sarno's book was hanging around me for 3 years before I got past the 1st page. But, you're right, timing is everything. Glad you can talk to your girlfriend. Keep us posted : )