1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Complete Relapse

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Marissa2010, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Marissa2010

Marissa2010 New Member

I'm in the middle of a complete relapse with my low back/sciatic pain caused by TMS. I had made a full recovery after discovering Dr. Sarno's books, but for whatever reason I have now relapsed. I have an appt scheduled with a TMS Psychotherapist but that is 2 weeks from now and I'm in so much pain. Day and night and no position or anything can provide me relief. I broke down yesterday and took some Bayer Aspirin to dull the pain so that I could concentrate on my journaling and also read some chapters over again in my TMS books. It provided me with enough pain relief to do that and I was also able to sleep a full night. Do you think by taking the pain medicine I have set back my recovery?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hi Marissa

Please try to be easier on yourself - you have certainly not done any harm at all by taking pain medicine. It can help you to break the pain - tension - pain cycle when you feel "stuck" like this. I had a very roughly ride coming off Lyrica etc., so I'm not cheerleader for any medication, but sparing use of mild pain relief can be helpful during a flare up. Try to go with your symptoms - not fight them, in the knowledge that they will soon pass.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Marissa. I echo Mermaid in believing you did okay by taking the Aspirin to relieve your pain. I'm glad it helped and also gave you a good night's sleep.
    Keep up the journaling and deep breathing, mindfulness (living in the present moment) and believing you will heal because the pain is from TMS.
    Don't worry, you didn't set back your recovery. Your relapse very well be your unconscious mind testing your belief in TMS. Keep telling it to stop the pain because you do believe it is psychological and not structural.