1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Relapse

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Marissa2010, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Marissa2010

Marissa2010 New Member

Within the last couple of days I have suffered a complete relapse and am freaking out! I'm trying not to give it too much attention, and am really trying to stay calm and do everything I did the first time to recover completely. I have a lot of obvious causes for it...it coincides exactly with the death of my mother. But it's still getting worse by the minute. So far nights are the worst and my lower back/Sciatica woke me up at 2am with excruciating pain. I was able to talk it down a bit and focus on my emotions to fall asleep again. I guess I just need some reassurance. I can't believe after making a full recovery that I'm back here again. I have an appt in 2 weeks with a TMS Psychotherapist I found on this forum, but I'm just really scared for the next 2 weeks until I see her. It's such a weird thing this time because the symptoms that I experienced in different intervals over several months before healing are coming at me in full force rapidly withing 1 week. It's almost as if my unconscious mind is throwing everything it possibly can at me as fast as it can, like a last ditch effort. I'm journaling and i'm also starting the recovery program again, but I feel myself slipping at moments when the pain is so bad. I'm not taking any meds or anything because I already know from experience it doesn't work. Just needed someone who understands to vent to!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Marissa. Dr. Sarno says in his books that our unconscious likes to hit us hard after we've healed, to show its power over us.
    You healed before and you will again by believing 100 percent in TMS, that your pain is not structural but psychological.

Maybe reflect back on the techniques you used to cure before... journaling, meditation, living in the present moment, deep breathing, etc.

Don't be scared. The return of pain is not permanent. It is just a temporary thing and it's going to go away.

clairem and hecate105 like this.
  3. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Be calm and be purposeful - you have healed once and you can heal again. The panic and worry and fear is the real enemy. I know exactly what you are going through - as I have had a return of some symptoms myself - just enough to think - perhaps this IS real pain, not TMS. But after working on it for a while - I can see it IS TMS. Look at the evidence. Worse at night - in the small hours when everything seems 10 times worse. Flaring up at an emotionally-fraught time. This is the same for me too! I refuse to be bullied by pain. I will just carry on and do my TMS work and carry on with the rest of my life and not worry/stress/panic about this.....

4. Marissa2010

Marissa2010 New Member

Thank you so much for your replies. It helps me greatly to know I'm not alone. I'm trying so hard to not be scared because I know that is the worst thing I can do and will only make things worse. I will continue with my recovery and try my hardest not to be intimidated by this relapse. Thank you again!