1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 10 Commitment to Moving Forward

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Hiawatha922, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Hiawatha922

Hiawatha922 Peer Supporter

I've continued to do more reading. In so many ways, it seems like I fit the "TMS profile". I've started the SEP (Day 10).

I have seen many health professionals. Some believe my physical issues (both gastrointestinal and body aches/pains) stem from leaky gut. However, after treating leaky gut with a very restrictive diet for almost a year, it seems like my symptoms are even worse than before when I add in a food that I am no longer used to eating.

Over the past few days, I have experienced considerable stomach upset. About three days ago (on the Fourth of July), I ate a few foods that are not usually part of my diet. I'm wondering how much is related to these foods and how much may be related to my TMS work. This same sort of event happened about one week ago (eating at a restaurant and stomach upset) with much less of a prolonged physical reaction. This time, the reaction has been substantial.

For me, the challenge of identifying cause and effect is huge (psychologically and emotionally). It seems so clear that the foods are causing these reactions. But I just have to remind myself of Dr. Sarno's words: "the foods are not causative" (but, rather, it is the emotions that cause me to become so sensitive to the foods).

If I trust my body, I can definitely say that something isn't right. Something is "out of alignment". I want to bring this cause, the root of these issues, more and more to my consciousness.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    Ellen and Marian like this.
  2. Marian

Marian Peer Supporter

Hiawatha, it's interesting when food gets involved in TMS. Quite a challenge. But I think you're right, it's not the food. I was convinced that I shouldn't eat dairy or wheat, but the truth is that all I had going on was an unconscious negative association with those foods. Some people find that once you start restricting your diet, it never ends! It just gets worse and worse... because it's not the foods. Finally you're eliminating so much that you start to get suspicious.

My experience is that things get better and worse with TMS work. Symptoms increase and decrease... that is par for the course, so you learn to not take it too seriously. It's a hilly road!

So yes, think psychological. It's a process. The issues want to come to consciousness. You're on the right track!

Ellen likes this.