1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Combination of causes?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Mark1122, May 2, 2021.

1. Mark1122

Mark1122 Well known member

Hi again,

I have been searching the internet (i know not recommended) and i found something interesting for my case. I got trapezius pain, arm pains, neck pain and lately worse and worse chest pain (as in the chest muscles).

I also got bad anxiety, palpitations, brain fog and just exhaustion in general.

I found something interesting about my pains online. Something called "upper cross syndrome". I will post a small explanation under here:

Upper crossed syndrome (UCS) occurs when the muscles in the neck, shoulders, and chest become deformed, usually as a result of poor posture.

The muscles that are typically the most affected are the upper trapezius and the levator scapula, which are the back muscles of the shoulders and neck. First, they become extremely strained and overactive. Then, the muscles in the front of the chest, called the major and minor pectoralis, become tight and shortened.

When these muscles are overactive, the surrounding counter muscles are underused and become weak. The overactive muscles and underactive muscles can then overlap, causing an X shape to develop.

What are the causes?
    Most cases of UCS arise because of continual poor posture. Specifically, standing or sitting for long periods with the head pushed forward.

People often adopt this position when they are:

• reading
    • watching TV
    • biking
    • driving
    • using a laptop, computer, or smartphone
    In a small number of cases, UCS can develop as the result of congenital defects or injuries.

Couldn't this seem plausible? Or does TMS also say this is just TMS? I spend loads of times behind the pc and mobile, less now since its impossible almost for me now. I developed anxiety before the pain but maybe the anxiety just speeded this process up cause my body was tensed while in this bad position behind a pc?

Cause the above symptoms and activities is exactly what i have and what i do a lot.

Ive been thinking and hoping its TMS for 3-4 years now and continuing behind pc etc which made it worse. What if i need rest from pc and need exercise to strengthen some of my muscles that are coutner to the ones in pain?

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  2. oneperson

oneperson Peer Supporter

I'm new to the forum, but not new to TMS or mindbody medicine.

It seems plausible to me. Less PC time and engaging exercise sound like healthy things to try.

I think searching the internet is also good. Lol. But I get what your saying regarding "not recommended." There's plenty of misinformation, but there are also nuggets of gold too. :)

Also, from my decades of personal experience, an ailment(s) can be purely from psychological/emotional causes, but we still might need some bandaids along the way. So if something gives relief, I'm all for relief. At the same time, I continue with my mindbody work...working toward wholeness. I endeavor to be gentle with my self, understanding, and open to receive.

This helped me in the past; I got well completely after two decades of chronic health adversities. I'm currently dealing with new issues and am utilizing the same approach, hoping for a similar outcome.

I have anxiety too. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy really helps me. Also, nature and music and meditation.

All the best to you in your journey...
    ~Carol