1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Cold / Flu

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Aurora, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Aurora

Aurora Peer Supporter

I've been working on my TMS symptoms for over a month now and I just got the flu. I typically get the flu once a year but I've just had it three months ago. I know I've been under a lot of stress lately but it's troubling to get it so soon. Has anyone else noticed a change in frequency and duration of colds and flus when doing this work?

2. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hi Aurora,

I haven't experienced this personally, but on the odd occasion when I did get a cold my pain would disappear, because it was no longer required as a distraction, since the cold would be fulfilling that role instead.

Your colds could be acting as a TMS equivalent, to keep your focus away from your emotions while you're busy working on your other symptoms. We are told that chronic stress lowers our immune systems too, which may also have a part to play.

You could look at it as a good sign that things are starting to move for you, your TMS fighting you, fighting it and trying to grab your attention another way.

Just stick with your TMS healing, eat healthily and spend as much time outdoors as you can, would be my advice.

Bless you :happy:

Ellen likes this.
  3. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Aurora,
    Welcome, to the Forum. I think that sometimes when we start working on emotional and repressed issues this causes a stress on our immune
    system. I would not let it concern you. I agree with Mermaid to eat healthy to build your immune system. For me, it helps to cut
    all processed food out, eat lots of fresh vegetables and fruit, and I use a green food supplement called Barlean's that is awesome.
    I do think when we are going through the TMS process it is good to cut out caffeine and sugar.

I do think that even a cold can keep you distracted from your emotions. Just keep going. I think we just have to be on guard that
    TMS tries very clever tactics to try and keep us distracted.

Are you journaling at all? I know this is important for many to release their repressed emotions.

Aurora, you will make it to the other side. Try to love your life just the way it is, laugh more and be more care free.
    A great big hug to you!!!!!
    G.R.

4. Aurora

Aurora Peer Supporter

Thanks for responding!

I think I'm under a lot of stress because among other things my husband is away on a business trip for two weeks for the first time ever. I don't like feeling this sad nor do I understand why I feel so sad. He's not dead and two weeks is not that long. This illness has definately kept me very body focused.

I did journal yesterday for the first time in a week. I'm finally feeling a lot better physically today.

5. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Aurora, I found that the symptoms I have started to become intense when my husband just started traveling. My neck got so tight. I was so surprised
    because I actually was so happy I would have some quiet time at night but apparently my subconscious was feeling a lot more insecure.

I think sadness may not be uncommon response to this but maybe some abandonment or feeling unsafe is coming up for you. It is good to
    explore through journaling what is join on when your husband leaves. It may have nothing to do with your husband but some past events.
    It may take several times of journaling to get to the deep emotions. I have to do the same myself. I think that will be the next thing to journal.

I find it so hard to get started journaling; then I think am I doing it right. Do you have any problems journaling and do you do it consistently?

I am so happy you are feeling a lot better today.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I haven't gotten a cold or flu from working on TMS.
    I used to get colds all the time when I worked at various places.
    I began working at home 40 years ago and can't remember having a cold or the flu since I began.
    I hated my last job and everyone had colds and I think they hated the place, too.
    If we're happy, I think our immune system fights off colds.

Journaling can be hard for some people but was easy for me, maybe because I'm a writer.
    Don't worry about doing it "right." Do it any way you like. I used to spend 20 minutes a day journaling,
    and paid no attention to whether I was journaling each day on either the past, present, or future worries.
    I just wrote about whatever came to my mind that day, usually in the morning.

If journaling by writing is a problem, maybe just talk to yourself about whatever may come to mind,
    just try to find those repressed emotions.

7. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

One thing that stood out to me when I read Walt post above is that when we are happy our immune system is happy.