1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Climbing again - in urgent need of some support!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Adventureseeker, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Adventureseeker

Adventureseeker Peer Supporter

If someone had told me that I'd be climbing again in such a short while 2 months ago I wouldn't have believed them. And yet, since starting the SEP I've made good progress and I've gained a lot of strength back thanks to some regular workouts given to me by my physiotherapist (which I try to consider to be just strengthening exercises to make up for the strength I lost with disuse - and in no way as a 'remedy' for any injury).

Tomorrow I've got my first climbing date in 7 months.... the last time I went I ended up with terrible shoulder pain and a full-blown depression. I haven't felt my shoulder pain this last month and a half, and yet, today I am feeling this small twinge, similar to what I used to feel but less intense. I am trying not to be afraid, for it really does not make sense, I've been working out as usual without straining it - the only exception being when I tried a couple of positions to mimic climbing at home yesterday and today - just for a few seconds I grabbed onto a ledge with both hands and put some pressure on my shoulders).

At the same time, if it gets worse with climbing, I am really afraid that it will reverse my recovery and that I'll be terribly disappointed, since climbing used to be my passion and I cannot consider myself fully healed until I can climb again.

Could the fact that I plan to go climbing be triggering this symptom, to alert me to a (hopefully non-existent) danger? Did anyone else experience something similar with resuming sports and are there any tips on how to handle it?

Thanks loads in advane xx

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I'd suggest talking to your SubC, Adventure. Be honest, and say something like, "I know you're trying to protect me from my feelings, but physical pain is NOT the way to go!"
    Also maybe try some affirmations: "I am strong." "I am healthy." Etc.
    Congrats on your success so far!

eskimoeskimo and Mad like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Adventureseeker. The best person to give advice on continuing exercise like climbing is Steve Ozanich in his book The Great Pain Deception. He writes how he healed from multiple pains by playing golf despite any pains. He also had to discover that he was repressing a lot of anger. Then his pains went away. But easy does it with climbing. Go slowly and carefully.

Gigi's advice is excellent... say some positive affirmations to give you strength and courage. You're making great progress in healing.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  4. Ines

Ines Well known member

Oh hell yes! My brain played all kinds of tricks on me. It was almost funny after a while. I would be walking to work out and my back would tighten up. Then, the next time I'd be walking to the gym and I'd start to wheeze out of nowhere. After working out I'd wake up with a migraine. It was ridiculous. It's been almost 5 months and that nonsense has stopped. You have to be more stubborn than your brain all while taking good care of yourself.
    If it gets worse with climbing you still know it's TMS and not forever. Keep doing it even if it's just baby climbs or if you just go and get all your gear on. Just keep doing it and your brain will give up. Don't let fear keep you away from what you love.

Tennis Tom and birdsetfree like this.
  5. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

I brought these same concerns to my therapist when I was going to take a flight again after experiencing excruciating pain from it the last time.

She said to me "don't bargain with the pain by saying 'if' the pain comes. Instead say 'when' the pain comes I will know what to do. I have all my tools, that is, reassuring myself that the pain originates in my mind, there is nothing to fear about the pain as there is nothing wrong with my back, focusing on a movie etc."

Taking the anticipation of the 'if the pain comes' out of it reduces the power of the pain. The pain did come but I was able to bring it down. Eventually with practise the pain disappeared.

Also I had to practise not getting disappointed when the pain came. This also helped to not feed it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Ines, Tennis Tom and eskimoeskimo like this.
  6. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2016
  7. Adventureseeker

Hello, thanks so much for your encouragement! This morning the muscle under my pinky finger is also contracting again, and I haven't gone climbing yet. My shoulder feels fine after I had a good talk with it yesterday ;-) It really proves that this is all TMS, since of course I haven't climbed yet and so couldn't have injured myself in advance :)
    I shall do two really easy ones with a calm person whom I really trust, so if the pain comes I shall know that it will really not make sense physically, since the exercises I do at the gym are probably harder. Birdsetfree, your advice is really helpful, I shall keep it in mind!
    Will let you know how it goes, thanks so much xx

birdsetfree likes this.
  8. Adventureseeker

I've been climbing - it went better than I thought and I felt stronger than I have in months :-D. My shoulder feels fine though I pulled on it, and I've got some normal post-climbing aches and pains which I'm proud of :-D My legs complained a bit after the climb and this morning, but it's very mild TMS pain, nothing like the disabling pain I used to experience.
    Not only do I feel happy because I know that I can climb again, but I also feel in a better position than before the symptoms started because I am learning how to live in the present moment, and the mindfulness meditation will surely help me in my sports. Before I used to go climbing with my mind full of thoughts about work or other stressful things, and my performance used to suffer for it. Now I'm looking forward to having better concentration during exercise, and what's more - I now also appreciate easy climbs which I used to look down upon as 'not worth doing', they are still fun, and I'm looking forward to re-doing all the easy ones - fingers crossed!
    Thank you so much for your support. I've three days left of the SEP programme, and I've just finished Healing back pain yesterday, before I went climbing. Literally, the programme, Dr. Sarno, and this forum has given me my life back in a matter 6 weeks! I know that I have to continue working on it and that the work may be a lifelong thing, but I don't mind at all, I'm actually interested and intrigued by it all. I cannot thank you enough!

Ines, readytoheal and birdsetfree like this.
  9. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I had a long bout with shoulder pain/frozen shoulder, years ago pre-Sarno. DX'ed as "pinched nerve" by dr. neuro at c6/c7--"If you don't STOP doing for a month, I'll be seeing you for surgery!!!"--documented here and at the other TMS forum. Coincided with a big, crazy, years long relationship break-up--lot's of throwing stuff and assorted break-up dramas. Took a forced two weeks off sitting in the corner doing voo-doo traction bag. It was a bear but finally went away, (when the relation went away finally). Post Sarno, I would get twinges of shoulder pain while swimming, but using TMS thinking, gently swimming through it, it faded away. It hasn't reoccurred, and I'd forgotten about it until seeing your post. I hit hundreds and thousands of tennis balls daily with the same shoulder and NO shoulder pain--correct technique helps. So bottom line, it can be a bear, but it can go away with Sarno. TMS savvyness puts you into the fast-trak to recovery. Give the initial pain a few minutes to fade away while the joint juices ramp-up and start flowing, overcoming the O2 deprivation.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Ines, Adventureseeker and birdsetfree like this.