1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Clearing doubts about TMS.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Back-To-Golf, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Back-To-Golf

Back-To-Golf Peer Supporter

Its been a year since discovering TMS after my not so successful back surgery. The journey has been pretty good. I would like to think I am a 'progressing' believer of TMS. There are doubts now and then, but I managed to reason it out of my mind.

However, one particular theory just refused to be reasoned away. During my pre-surgery, the doctor did a discogram on me and managed to simulate the lower back pain. I remember reading on Dr Sarno book about false positives of discogram. But yet, I wondered if the pain is due to TMS, how can the doctor simulate the pain via manipulating the disc?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

That doctor is not a believer in TMS. If you want to heal, you need to believe in TMS 100 percent.

Steve Ozanich says in his wonderful book, THE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION, that he healed from back and other pain by playing golf despite the pain. Tha and discovering his TMS repressed emotions dealing with anger healed him.

Jane.Fearless and Back-To-Golf like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I suspect that the answer has to do with conditioning. The brain latches on to weak spots, such as the normal wear and tear in our spines that many people have without pain, or the site of a former injury, because those pain pathways were already laid down in the past and it's easier to distract you with them. Look at phantom limb pain as an example. Phantom limb pain is real, because all pain originates in the brain, not at the site where the pain message is sent. That is a fact of neuroscience, and it's at the heart of understanding and accepting our potential to heal ourselves.

4. Back-To-Golf

Back-To-Golf Peer Supporter

Thanks. I never stop learning in this forum....

JanAtheCPA likes this.