1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 11 Clarity/Enlightenment

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Sean, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Sean

Sean New Member

Something I read in 'The Divided Mind' today provided some clarity. I've been muddled trying to sort out what may be behind the repressed emotions (although I think that is becoming clearer) and how to then 'deal' with them. It seems a bit daunting as so many thoughts, Memories, situations and reflections glow from the introspection.
    :confused::wacky:fingersinears
    Douglas Hoffman states (in Chapter 9 STRUCTURAL PAIN OR PSYCHOSOMATIC PAIN): "Not only is it not possible to directly access these emotions, but it is not necessary for successful treatment for most individuals. Successful treatment requires one to simply acknowledge that these painful, unpleasant, often threatening emotions exist. It is not necessary to "figure them out." Treatment is about acknowledging their existence, not changing them."
    Those observations simplify it all for me and I think prior to this TMS occurrence I was able to do that without thinking about it...probably because significant triggers were not present.
    So...get a handle on the triggers and back to normal.beerbuds

Janine28 likes this.
  2. TheKingAdRock

TheKingAdRock New Member

I had very similar thoughts myself today. it seems figuring out the underlying emotions can be helpful but the key really is just being aware of how TMS works.

Janine28 likes this.
  3. Janine28

Janine28 Peer Supporter

Sean and The King,
    These reflections are really helpful for me to read. I've been able to identify a lot of the suppressed emotions, and yet a nagging numbness continues to live on in my knees. I haven't been able to identify specific emotions, but both of you have reminded me that it's important to simply acknowledge the mind/body connection. Thanks:)

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Wise comments from everyone, in my experience! Much of the benefit of psychological inquiry is about "giving yourself the evidence" that you have TMS. Getting lost in "fixing and figuring out" is a killer, whether it is in addressing TMS, or when this restricted stance is applied to the practice of acceptance and self-empathy. Ideally, inquiry is open-ended and freeing, rather than reductionist or restrictive. It is about experiencing and "being with" rather than fixing.

Janine28 likes this.
  5. Sean

Sean New Member

That theme is starting to resonate more and more...as I reflect I think I was able to live with or be with the emotions prior to my onset...the trigger/trauma took my psyche to a place it had not been...it was not used to that intensity of the fight/flight response and so goes into extreme protection mode. As Andy and others point out, let it come, face it, think about what causes the response/repression, accept the importance and significance of it and return to or develop a mindset that copes in a pain free manner. Thanks Andy (and everyone) as these interactions really help me to reflect and re balance.

Janine28 likes this.