1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Claire Weekes Recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tigerlilly, Apr 15, 2014.

1. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

So I went to Amazon to look into ordering some audio books from Claire Weekes. Seems there are several to choose from - all with good reviews.

Has anyone read/reviewed several of these? Any recommendations for someone with TMS - working on fear/anxiety issues?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

"Hope and help for your nerves" That's the one, but there all great. Thanks

Mermaid likes this.
  3. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

"Pass Through Panic" double CD is excellent. It isn't just what it appears to be from the title, so don't be put off. She explains just how our nervous system becomes over reactive and how to overcome it. It was a huge help to me in copying with and reducing my symptoms.

North Star likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Tigerlilly, I hope you and Smeagle are doing well.

I read the book Hope and Help for Your Nerves
    and it's terrific, so the audio should be too.

Weekes is just a wonder woman explaining how to deal with anxiety and nervousness.

5. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

Thanks Herbie, Mermaid and Walt! It sounds like I should start with the Hope and Help for Your Nerves as an intro and then move onto the Pass Through Panic.
    I thought it would be good to get the audio CDs as opposed to the book, just because I LOVE hearing her voice and how it's like she's talking directly to you.
    Did you guys find book vs. audio to be better than the other?

I'm just feeling a lot of anxiety and sometimes I can calm it down and sometimes not. Monday night I attended the annual event of observing the Memorial of Christ's death. The anxiety was trying to build up all day, and I was pacing myself to get ready for the event (Take shower. Lay down. Blow dry hair. Lay down. Put makeup on. Lay down........you get the idea). I was deep breathing while laying down and telling my mind I was not going to miss this most important event of the year. So......long story short is, that I made it through! (Yay!) I had to stand in the back the whole time because I still can't sit down. The pain was building and getting intense; I started sweating, heart beating heavy, couldn't take a full breath without strain. I thought I was going to have to go lay down in the back room on a mat. But I remember Claire Weekes saying (in the links Herbie previously provided) that success is on the other side of fear, so I just pushed through it. I've never been prone to panic attacks but I can definitely see a pattern/groundwork building up for this over the years.

So that's why I'm wanting to order her materials in hopes it will help me work through these emotions and overcome the anxiety/fear. It doesn't help that I've been housebound for 6 months now and so it's even harder to go out in public and face crowds (which I've never had a problem with before). Just hyper-sensitive to things, I guess. Fear. Anxiety. Anticipation.

Thanks for the input!

Walt - hope you and Annie are doing well. Smeagle has started swimming in the pool (his favorite thing in the world) now that the weather is warmer. We bought a pool-home so our dog could enjoy his favorite past-time! Here's a pic for you! :)

Attached Files:

North Star likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

What a lucky dog Smeagle is. The pool looks fantastic. I bet she just loves it.
    A neighbor on my block has a small pool in the backyard and as the weather warms up here,
    their white Laborador retriever will be in it. Doggie friends are invited at times, and Annie
    was in it last summer. We hope again this year.

I don't own the audio of any Weekes books but bet they are great.

7. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hi Tigerlilly,

Claire Weekes is a miracle worker. Follow her advice and you can't help but improve.

Bless you, have a peaceful Easter.