1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Chronic and ever present (No spasms or sudden excruciating though..)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sofa, Sep 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Hi everyone. Newbie here, and sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. I've just recently learned about TMS after trying almost literally everything in the books to cure my low back chronic pain, and also chronic tenderness in the .. family jewels.
    All tests have come up healthy, except early signs of degenerative disk disease. So, I'm excited to play a little game of tic tac toe with my brain now, and show it who's boss. Question: Dr .Sarno talks about trigger points and spasms and extreme pain whereas I'd classify mine as everpresent and chronic.. Anyone else out there like me? Thanks again

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

I can't answer for myself, but my husband had chronic back pain for 30 years...his jewels had symptoms too. He's been pain free for about 13 years! He's 60 and works in construction and runs circles around guys half his age. You can do it too!

HattieNC and Sofa like this.
  3. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Lizzy - thanks for the encouraging response and for passing along some glimmer of hope to me! If I may ask... did you and your husband attribute his issue to TMS? What types of things did he do to get back feeling good? I realize it's probably not as simple as that, but I'll take any advice you guys might have! :)
    Thanks again Lizzy. Best wishes..

4. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Amazingly my husband listened to me talking about TMS and Dr. Sarno and he thought it was what was "wrong" with his back. He believed that even though he had bulging discs and a break in some connecting thing. This was probably 25 years ago and I can't remember what, but his x-ray, or a sketch the doctor drew, showed where his spine kind of jogged and a black line going down his back was broken. It wasn't bone, something connective. He just accepted the diagnoses. I accept it, but I think my personality continues to give me symptoms, but they don't really last. I definitely needed to do more emotional work than he did.

Dr . Sarno said knowledge is the penicillin for TMS, it sure was for my husband. Maybe I really didn't accept it as fully as he did.

Best wishes to you too!
    Lizzy

Sofa likes this.
  5. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Thanks again Lizzy! Based on the tidbits that I've picked up reading a few chapters of Dr. Sarno's book and your valuable input, I'm going to start letting my new understanding of the situation sink in, and put "mind over matter". Firstly, I'm going to resume activities and stop babying myself out of fear. What is there to lose at this point anyway.
    Tonight I'm going to go jogging again. Something I haven't done in three years. (I used to be a triathlete up until my mid-30's. I'm in my low 40's now).
    Lizzy, it sounds like you are not fully healed yet if I'm reading your response correctly? I hope you can rid yourself of your symptoms soon. Again, thanks for your kind and supportive words.

6. had

had Peer Supporter

The back and balls are two places I definitely get TMS...rarely as much now as I have accepted that's what it is since multiple years of tests, and experiences where it stops and starts with no physical insult but lots of stress, proved it to me. People say you have to believe it...but that's not as easy as some want to make it out to be. You hear stories of people with testicular cancer they didn't notice or whatever and cannot help but worry. I personally cannot believe until I do...I can't just decide I do without beating the evidence to submission. But I have seen enough examples of TMS to accept it is real...the hard part is telling what is what and attacking the more stubborn examples.Eventually I had enough evidence my back wasn't damaged, and my balls were not diseased, and I don't have chronic pain there anymore...just spikes at times when stressed but the knowledge that it's simply that and it goes way.

As always if you get checked and you have no OBVIOUS problem...then it's probably TMS. When they start saying "well you have a SLIGHT disc abnormality etc...that's not the problem. It's never the problem. People are not better long term after disc surgery etc. If you have a process broken off or a nerve trapped and growing a neuroma or something...that's different...but "abnormalities" and hunched shoulders means you can bet the bank it's TMS.

Sofa likes this.
  7. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Thanks Had. Yeah, I hear you about the stress. Sometimes it feels like all I think about is whether or not my balls are tender, smh. That's why tonight I'm going to go jogging and put mind over matter. Sadly, the brain is the smartest thing in my body HOWEVER, I think I know a way to outsmart it and win. I'm planning to double cross it via some very basic deception (I doubt it will expect something so simple). I'll let you know soon.

Lizzy likes this.
  8. had

had Peer Supporter

I will tell you how obviously mental it can be, I tend to have more right than left pain and was laying in bed thinking about it and in a few min the left nut/cord started hurting. I literally made it hurt by thinking how it didn't hurt. This stuff is real, it's just not as simple to deal with as the preachers say most of the time.

Sofa likes this.
  9. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Well..... I'm healed, and yet... Like we can't stop blushing, I can't competely stop having things crop up. Usually they last minutes to days. All sorts of things, such as wrist, toe, headache etc. Occasionally my elbows get a raised red and raw rash and it may stay a day or two, but goes away almost instantly. That puzzles me because I can see the physical and yet it goes so fast it isn't like healing. The mind-body is fascinating.

So, I have a tms thing, but I rarely have anything going on and it's rare that I worry.

Lizzy

Sofa likes this.