1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Chondromalacia patelae

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sienna, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

hello,

I was wondering if anyone has treated this condition as TMS and was successful.
    I used to have pain periods after high physical activity, but now I get pain on a regular basis and was thinking if this coukd be TMS.

Thanks everyone

2. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

I had it and I got rid of it using tms knowledge.
    Over use is often listed as one of the causes. I believe there is no such thing as over use. Our body knows when to stop. Our body repair itself over and over again until we die. Our mind is the causes of our trouble. If you think you're over used certain part of your body, think about the workers in third world countries. They're "over used" their body every single day their whole life.
    Now a day people are cripple with carpal tunnel syndrome by playing with their modern computers. Million of typist in the 40, 50, 60's typing 60 words per minutes 8 hours a day for years and no one know about carpal tunnel syndrome. They didn't know they can get that syndrome until the term were invented.

Sienna likes this.
  3. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Than you Balto,

In my case pain appears after biking, doing squats or anything that stresses the knee.
    I cured myself of back pain being TMS, but this knee pain is different and I am not sure whether it can be healed using tms approach.

Best

IrishSceptic likes this.
  4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Sienna,

The unconconcious mind will keep activating new pain pathways to keep you in fear and to doubt the diagnosis. The more you fall into the trap of fear, the greater hold it will have on you.

All I can suggest is to create an evidence sheet and keep reading success stories on the forum. I'd also suggest practing mindfulness and learn how to not get caught up in the negative internal dialogue that fuels ones TMS.

Best regards

Sienna likes this.
  5. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Sienna,,

It's mostly likely TMS. However, once when I was feeling pain in my knees doing lunges with weights my trainer said it's probably because my quads have become too tight and I need to stretch the IT band. Once I stretch the IT band the pain was gone.

So if you feel pain while doing your squats, stretch the IT band and see what happens. Here's a video on how to do it using a foam roller

Sienna likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Sienna. You healed from back pain by believing in TMS and the knee pain will go away if you believe it will.

Fred's video looks helpful. Maybe try it and see if it works for you. Stretching the hamstring muscle helps in TMS healing.
    There are some other good videos on that on Youtube.

Sienna likes this.
  7. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Thank you so much Fred, Mike and Walt, I will follow your advice!

8. sweetandsourkiwi

sweetandsourkiwi New Member

I had such horrific knee pain (dx: chondromalacia) I started crying at my desk, at work, for months. It got SO BAD it didn't matter if I didn't walk at all, it hurt all the time. Then my TMS took off like crazy and in the resulting flurry of debilitating back and neck pain and treatments for all that, I somehow "forgot" to do my knee exercises, and consequently, "forgot" to hurt in my knees. It was only when I started learning about TMS I remembered how awful it had been, and how sneakily it had just stopped. Had something really been wrong, the PT would have helped my knees, and it wouldn't have just cleared up on its own after months of constancy. HTH!

Sienna likes this.
  9. FredAmir

"Had something really been wrong, the PT would have helped my knees, and it wouldn't have just cleared up on its own after months of constancy. HTH!"

Love your reasoning.

Sienna likes this.
  10. sweetandsourkiwi

sweetandsourkiwi New Member

Thanks FredAmir! I just finished your book a few days ago and had a question of my own! You mention making it just a bit longer on each goal...what do you recommend for people who's pain shows up hours later? I am not in extra pain at my computer (just the regular amount), but I do hurt substantially more when I've put in more time at my desk. And it's not always clear how much pain I'll be in...? Thanks!

11. FredAmir

That's where visualizing the future as pain-free comes in.

What's most important is that you keep working on it. As you read in chapter four of my book my knee pain required different approaches to get rid of. Keep working on it and do not give up until it's gone 100%!

IrishSceptic likes this.
  12. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Hello Fred,

At the moment, I cannot do even streching exercises. The knee is swollen and irritates with minimal movement.
    My MRI shows a fissure in cartilage, and after I felt pain by doing Squats, my doctor said that a small ulcere might be open.
    What timing would you think this should resolve? Because it has been a month and I am still very limited, it hurts after walking, specially by standing on foot, and climbing stairs.

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Sienna

13. FredAmir

Hi Sienna,

Since it is swollen with minimum effort consult a TMS doctor in person or by phone. Although TMS can menifest itself that way it is better to have a medical diagnosis. Let me know what happens.

Sienna likes this.
  14. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Thank you Fred, but how could a TMS doctor differentiate if it is structural or due to brain tension. Do you suggest a physical visit?

15. FredAmir

If there is one near you. If not, any good TMS doc would know based on your description of the symptoms and the diagnosis you received.

Sienna likes this.