cholesterol and blood sugar

Jonie

New Member
Hi,

My body seems to be a "hyper responder" to cholesterol and carbs. I was eating high fat keto for a while and my cholesterol went up to over 450. For a few months I cut out red meat, butter, dairy and eggs. My cholesterol went down to 185. My A1c has been around 5.7, which is considered pre-diabetic, for a few years, in spite of having a whole foods diet and exercising daily. Also, if I eat even a small piece of sweet potato or if I eat bread or have fruit, my blood sugar goes way up, to around 160. Is this TMS? For several decades I believed that what I eat has huge impact on my mood and energy. I never considered cholesterol or blood sugar until I started getting those blood tests as routine check ups. I tend to think everything is TMS but I have no idea how I'd work with this and I'm curious to hear what others think about this. Thanks!
 
What is the end result of Bg spike or high cholesterol being TMS? You eat whatever you want and your body should just be able to handle it?

I think we can fall into a trap of thinking everything can be TMS. If everything is TMS why do non human companion animals get diabetes or high cholesterol?

Stress can absolutely impact glucose and nutrient absorption. You should make lifestyle and inner changes to reduce stress, You should also be exercising and eating healthy. You saw progress with your cholesterol by modifying your diet. If you don’t trust your doctor regarding this stuff then find a different one. Find a nutritionist and reevaluate your lab work after working with them.

My cholesterol used to be shit and now it’s normal. Turned out added sugars were what was doing it for me.
 
Last edited:
What is the end result of Bg spike or high cholesterol being TMS? You eat whatever you want and your body should just be able to handle it?

I think we can fall into a trap of thinking everything can be TMS. If everything is TMS why do non human companion animals get diabetes or high cholesterol?

Stress can absolutely impact glucose and nutrient absorption. You should make lifestyle and inner changes to reduce stress, You should also be exercising and eating healthy. You saw progress with your cholesterol by modifying your diet. If you don’t trust your doctor regarding this stuff then find a different one. Find a nutritionist and reevaluate your lab work after working with them.

My cholesterol used to be shit and now it’s normal. Turned out added sugars were what was doing it for me.
Thanks, Rabscuttle. I agree with you. I probably eat healthier than anyone I know, and have for decades. I don't eat sugar or honey or maple syrup or any of that stuff. I don't eat processed foods. I eat very little fruit and, as I said my blood sugar goes way up with any carbs. I weight train and go for walks. I've spent thousands on alternative health care practitioners and am done with that. I'm interested in why my body hyper responds and if there is a mind body component to that. I don't have a lot of stress in my life and feel lucky for the life I have - work I enjoy, dancing every week, deep friendships. But I have stuff from childhood and tend to fit the TMS personality in terms of being hard on myself and taking blame for everything. Now I'm wondering if those same emotional and personal things could contribute to responding so strongly to cholesterol and carbs.
 
Thanks, Rabscuttle. I agree with you. I probably eat healthier than anyone I know, and have for decades. I don't eat sugar or honey or maple syrup or any of that stuff. I don't eat processed foods. I eat very little fruit and, as I said my blood sugar goes way up with any carbs. I weight train and go for walks. I've spent thousands on alternative health care practitioners and am done with that. I'm interested in why my body hyper responds and if there is a mind body component to that. I don't have a lot of stress in my life and feel lucky for the life I have - work I enjoy, dancing every week, deep friendships. But I have stuff from childhood and tend to fit the TMS personality in terms of being hard on myself and taking blame for everything. Now I'm wondering if those same emotional and personal things could contribute to responding so strongly to cholesterol and carbs.
If you feel you’ve it approached this issue from a medical standpoint adequately then sure, what is there really to lose from trying a TMS approach, again I don’t even know what that would look like. Seeing a high bg, and going “I’m not bothered”?. If stuff from your past is impacting your daily life and thought processes then absolutely address that.

What do you eat? I realize it’s outside the scope of this forum, but you mention a lot of animal products, or at least being on a keto for a few months. I’m vegan myself, so I’m biased. But I think most modern studies seem to suggest whole food plant based being the diet with the best long term health outcomes. Speaking purely from a physical health stand point here, I don’t think diet has much impact on mind body conditions, personally. Veganism helped a lot of stomach issues a decade ago, before I was TMS aware, but I think that had more to do with taking actions that aligned with my beliefs and gave me some measure of proudness in myself.

I wonder if in your case overall health anxiety is contributing to a lot of your stress, considering you track your bg despite not being diabetic and seemingly spent thousands addressing these specific issues.

Also how is taking blame for everything and being cruel towards yourself not stressful? I think when people say things like that they are a little out of touch with their inner selves. My cruelty towards myself is my bigger source of stress. I suppose everyone is different.

I wish you luck.
 
Last edited:
If you feel you’ve it approached this issue from a medical standpoint adequately then sure, what is there really to lose from trying a TMS approach, again I don’t even know what that would look like. Seeing a high bg, and going “I’m not bothered”?. If stuff from your past is impacting your daily life and thought processes then absolutely address that.

What do you eat? I realize it’s outside the scope of this forum, but you mention a lot of animal products, or at least being on a keto for a few months. I’m vegan myself, so I’m biased. But I think most modern studies seem to suggest whole food plant based being the diet with the best long term health outcomes. Speaking purely from a physical health stand point here, I don’t think diet has much impact on mind body conditions, personally. Veganism helped a lot of stomach issues a decade ago, before I was TMS aware, but I think that had more to do with taking actions that aligned with my beliefs and gave me some measure of proudness in myself.

I wonder if in your case overall health anxiety is contributing to a lot of your stress, considering you track your bg despite not being diabetic and seemingly spent thousands addressing these specific issues.

Also how is taking blame for everything and being cruel towards yourself not stressful? I think when people say things like that they are a little out of touch with their inner selves. My cruelty towards myself is my bigger source of stress. I suppose everyone is different.

I wish you luck.
I eat mostly plant based now. In the past I've been vegan for years, keto, fruitarian - tried lots. So yes, I think you're right about health or food anxiety. Now I'm experimenting. Mostly eating veggies, some fruit, eggs. I've been enjoying some toast, which I had been avoiding. Olive oil on toast. Cooking with water or maybe some avocado oil. I'm actually trying to get less strict, not more....because I've been on some sort of strict way of eating for so long now. Maybe an A1c of 5.7 is ok since it's been there for a few years and not gone up? Sometimes I think I should just relax and stop testing.
 
I eat mostly plant based now. In the past I've been vegan for years, keto, fruitarian - tried lots. So yes, I think you're right about health or food anxiety. Now I'm experimenting. Mostly eating veggies, some fruit, eggs. I've been enjoying some toast, which I had been avoiding. Olive oil on toast. Cooking with water or maybe some avocado oil. I'm actually trying to get less strict, not more....because I've been on some sort of strict way of eating for so long now. Maybe an A1c of 5.7 is ok since it's been there for a few years and not gone up? Sometimes I think I should just relax and stop testing.
I don’t know enough about diet specifics. But I think healthy anxiety is the crux of many issues. As is fear with getting older and mortality and our fears with all that stuff. We think if we just do x we’ll be okay and live to be 100 and everything will be perfect and grand and we’ll die peacefully in our sleep surrounded by loved ones etc. sometimes we just need to let go. If you’re over pursuing this medically, which I can’t say is right or wrong, then truly just let go of tracking shit and let the cards fall where they may.
 
I don’t know enough about diet specifics. But I think healthy anxiety is the crux of many issues. As is fear with getting older and mortality and our fears with all that stuff. We think if we just do x we’ll be okay and live to be 100 and everything will be perfect and grand and we’ll die peacefully in our sleep surrounded by loved ones etc. sometimes we just need to let go. If you’re over pursuing this medically, which I can’t say is right or wrong, then truly just let go of tracking shit and let the cards fall where they may.
Yes! I think this it it.
 
Hi @Jonie You don't look overweight in your photo, so this may not apply... but I just thought I'd say that being as near to the right weight for your height as possible is the single biggest thing a person can do for blood sugar levels. I'm proof of that. I was prediabetic and overweight. I then gradually lost 35lbs and am no longer prediabetic. When I was overweight my 'bad' cholesterol was on the high-ish side too, but that's also now fine after the weight loss. With the latter though I don't know if was solely the weight loss that made the difference because I also reduced (but didn't cut out altogether) my saturated fat intake (which helped me lose weight). I appreciate though that I'm not you and this doesn't answer your question about whether TMS can play a part in these two issues. I am though of the opinion that anxiety and stressing over things tends to make most things worse, for what my opinion is worth.
 
Last edited:
"I am though of the opinion that anxiety and stressing over things tends to make most things worse" @BloodMoon

I also believe this is correct, and Dr. David Hanscom talks a lot about the chemical (hormones) ways our body can respond to stress and anxiety, and the effect it can have on systems of the body.

Your age and especially for women, your hormone levels can have a huge impact on body changes as well as the stress and anxiety because downstream all of this ends up being hormones.

Remember: Your blood sugar is NORMAL if it goes up after eating carbohydrates. That's how a body works. As you digest the fibers in that food your blood sugar will become more regulated - are you taking your blood sugar levels 2-3 hours after meals?

Sometimes we just need be open minded and play around with what our best move forward is. That can be combining wellness with the skills we've learned to help us live a more symptom free life. Recently I have been diagnosed with true medical issues, and my symptoms have increased because of the stress. I chalk it up to having opportunity to keep using the skills I've learned: meditate more, remember to take the pressure off, notice when I try to fix things that can't be fixed immediately and intentionally choose to be OK with treading lightly, patience with slow progress, and sometimes surrendering to the things that are.
 
Hi @Jonie You don't look overweight in your photo, so this may not apply... but I just thought I'd say that being as near to the right weight for your height as possible is the single biggest thing a person can do for blood sugar levels. I'm proof of that. I was prediabetic and overweight. I then gradually lost 35lbs and am no longer prediabetic. When I was overweight my 'bad' cholesterol was on the high-ish side too, but that's also now fine after the weight loss. With the latter though I don't know if was solely the weight loss that made the difference because I also reduced (but didn't cut out altogether) my saturated fat intake (which helped me lose weight). I appreciate though that I'm not you and this doesn't answer your question about whether TMS can play a part in these two issues. I am though of the opinion that anxiety and stressing over things tends to make most things worse, for what my opinion is worth.
Thanks, BloodMoon. I'm not overweight. 5'3" and 120 pounds.
 
Thank you, Cactus flower.
"I am though of the opinion that anxiety and stressing over things tends to make most things worse" @BloodMoon

I also believe this is correct, and Dr. David Hanscom talks a lot about the chemical (hormones) ways our body can respond to stress and anxiety, and the effect it can have on systems of the body.

Your age and especially for women, your hormone levels can have a huge impact on body changes as well as the stress and anxiety because downstream all of this ends up being hormones.

Remember: Your blood sugar is NORMAL if it goes up after eating carbohydrates. That's how a body works. As you digest the fibers in that food your blood sugar will become more regulated - are you taking your blood sugar levels 2-3 hours after meals?

Sometimes we just need be open minded and play around with what our best move forward is. That can be combining wellness with the skills we've learned to help us live a more symptom free life. Recently I have been diagnosed with true medical issues, and my symptoms have increased because of the stress. I chalk it up to having opportunity to keep using the skills I've learned: meditate more, remember to take the pressure off, notice when I try to fix things that can't be fixed immediately and intentionally choose to be OK with treading lightly, patience with slow progress, and sometimes surrendering to the things that are.
 
make lifestyle and inner changes to reduce stress,
... which is only one of several stress-related recommendations from @Rabscuttle. I'm 100% in agreement. Stress of all sorts, from the deepest unconscious and unresolved emotional conflicts carried from childhood, to the most current existential stressors of social and environmental issues, is ultimately the driver for our poor primitive TMS brain mechanisms spinning out of control. Our brains simply weren't designed for today's world. You must deal with your stress and anxiety, from all sources. All of these other obsessive activities are distractions, at best. Long-term unresolved stress can eventually cause harm, I'm sorry to say, and that's from personal experience. There's a reason that the subtitle to Gabor Mate's 2003 book (When the Body Says No) is "The stress-disease connection".
 
Back
Top