1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 5 Childhood Memories

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by gerryh, Aug 14, 2014.

1. gerryh

gerryh Newcomer

I've been thinking about my childhood.My mother had issues of her own (probably TMS) and was always over protective of me.I recall not being allowed to go certain places and always having to be back by set times,stuff like that.That continued into my late teens and I just went along with it,even though I was'nt entirely happy with it.I remember feeling bad if I was late as it would upset her or may even lead to conflict which really neither of us wanted.What stands out most is that I can still see that trait in myself now.I don't like conflict and I feel that I should be around for my wife/kids so I usually rush home and rarely put myself or my interests first.I feel like I don't want to upset anyone in life.This makes me feel very anxious and I find it difficult to relax.Anyone relate?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Gerry. It looks like you have what many of us have, a "gooodist" personality, wanting to please everyone all the time.
    That's considered a reason to have TMS pain.

You seem to have inherited from your mother the business of feeling you need to rush home to your wife and kids and also that you put them first.
    Not wanting to make waves or upset anyone is part of the goodist thing.

It's hard for us all to relax in this zoom-zoom age. We need to take some time for ourselves.

I definitely relate to what you posted and believe most people do.

Try more deep breathing and meditation, being in the present moment, not thinking or worrying about the past or future.