1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

checking out understanding of tms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by clairem, Jul 31, 2015.

1. clairem

clairem Peer Supporter

hi there,

am i right that pain and / or anxiety is meant to distract me from a percieved threat (emotional , conscious or subconscious and this could be even something that triggers a similar emotional memory from the past stored in my amygdala) or to alert me to a percieved emotional threat (in a healthy productive way this would be when something is wrong physically with the body therefore pain lets person know there is an issue that needs tending too) however it has kind of got distorted over time and now a fear / pain pathway has been learned and kind of hijacked so that any stress / distress is seen as a threat. So tending to pain and fear with reassurance kind of breaks this learned pathway and forges a new pathway as does outcome independance - Is this right?

and on that same note when pain is replaced with anxiety is this becuase pain is no longer able to distract as much and so its using another tactic?

And also that pain / fear might also just be there out of habit / conditioned response without necessarily always meaning deeper feelings

muchos gracias

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

That's a great way to think about it. Most everything you have said above has been in the tms knowledge books for some time now, it's all about which scientists and authors and those that have healed you ask but I think your on the money, great psychological thinking.

clairem likes this.