1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 Checking in....focusing on the positive.

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by trichick2, Jul 13, 2015.

1. trichick2

trichick2 Newcomer

Hi! It's day 8 and I'm doing a short post to update on how I'm doing. I LOVED the you tube talk on Day 7 and how the guy said just not to obsess too much about this program/recovery. What a great reminder to relax with what is and stay present. This is a foreign concept for me because I find that I usually focus on the future, and for me that's where the fear comes in.

It seems like fear really holds me back. I fear my pain will return. I fear I will not be able to do my job due to pain. I fear that I will not be able to exercise due to pain. This is a learned behaviour - always in fear. SO to break this cycle whenever a negative thought comes in my mind- I acknowledge it and switch to a positive thought.

orffgirl likes this.
  2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Mindfulness might help you. It helps us to stay focussed in the moment and not obsess about the past or the future. So much of the time we are regretting or fuming over the past or dreading the future! Being 'in' the present moment gives us a real escape from all the 'what ifs'...
    You are right about fear being a learned behaviour. We learn from a parent, then pass it on to the next generation!

trichick2 likes this.
  3. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

It sounds like you're going well, and becoming much more self aware!! I know that I also struggle with fear in relation to my TMS symptoms, but also other aspects of my life. I find that relaxation exercises (e.g. progressive muscle relaxation) and meditative prayer help me. It also helps a lot to regularly connect and chat to friends who support me, encourage me and pray for me. All the best on your recovery journey! :)