1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Checking in constantly

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ShelteredInStars, Aug 22, 2020.

1. ShelteredInStars

ShelteredInStars New Member

So I've been checking out the New Program and im realizing that my fear is constantly making me check for the discomfort. It's like a loop, and I am hyper aware of all sensations. Does this happen to anyone and can anyone give me insight on how to stop checking. Every time I check I'm sure it sends a little fear signal because it is always there. Its the first thing I look for every single morning and even though I don't always feel fearful for having the sensation, I think I get disappointed that it is still there and not gone yet.

TrustIt likes this.
  2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

It know it sounds overly simplistic, but what helped me stop checking my symptoms obsessively was truly believing they WOULD go away. It was critical for me to understand they were not permanent. I had doctors explain that my sympathetic nervous system was reviving the symptoms up, and I knew being hyper focused on the feelings and sensations would not benefit me at all. This is a form of reassurance seeking, which never helps with anxiety, especially when the mind-body connection is very powerful and anybody can develop symptoms at any time (example = blushing when you’re embarrassed or feeling a migraine coming on after an argument). This may take practice and that’s okay.

We all experience mind-body symptoms to some degree in life; your body was designed to heal. It can take some time to build trust, but it really is true!

Lainey, TrustIt and ShelteredInStars like this.
  3. ShelteredInStars

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It does make sense and I guess it really is just that simple. Its hard to find the trust, but I wont stop trying. Thanks again.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi shelteredinstars,

Dorado's experience is deep and reassuring.

I would suggest too that you understand the compulsive nature of checking and gently forgive yourself. Essentially part of you is trying to stay safe. It also helps in that moment of noticing to move your attention toward something neutral or positive. This might be a body sensation which does not hurt, or your breath, gratitude for something in your life, etc.

Andy

5. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

6. ShelteredInStars

Dorado, I read a long post on you overcoming TMS and I really really felt like you were describing myself when it came to your anxiety and ruminations. I started ruminating and became extremely anxious and fearful while under immense stress as a child. No one knew what was happening to me and unfortunately my parents never did much to figure out why I suddenly started acting this way. It happened 20 years later again and that was essentially when my health problems started to spiral until I was hit with a 2x4 from the universe last year that knocked me on my ass health and pain wise. Anyway, what I am getting at is that I also have had TMS my entire life and anxiety/fear is truly my number one issue that has caused a slew of other health issues. I would love if you could elaborate on how you managed and got rid of the anxiety. Not just anxiety about my pain or "illnesses" but the deep anxiety and fear that us ruminators deal with.

7. HopethereisHope

HopethereisHope New Member

Hey shelteredinstars. I think the advices from Dorado and Andy are very sound. I just want to let you know you're not alone -- I'm exactly the same haha. I think it's just a matter of time. If we've lived in a state of worries and fears for years it will take some time before the brain gets rewired to this new way of thinking. However, if we just keep at it will get easier and easier every day until we're fully healed. Good luck.

BloodMoon and ShelteredInStars like this.
  8. ShelteredInStars

Hey, thank you for leaving a comment. It’s hard work even though it shouldn’t be lol. It’s good to know I’m not alone and you’re right, we will get it. It’s definitely starting to sink in a little more and I’m understanding where I need to put work in to mend old trauma. That is key for me I believe. I think it’s important to be able to become the observer and that in itself is hard work.

9. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

This is why I always compare TMS to OCD and making that connection was pivotal in my recovery and continued wellness.

checking and rechecking and rechecking again is part of the OCD shuffle.... The weird actions that OCD sufferers do (washing a counter 5 times, seeking reassurance from someone, re-parking a car four times) is called 'Binding the anxiety'. The sufferer THINKS that if they just make sure they did everything perfect they will not be haunted/bothered by any new intrusive thoughts...which is of course not true.

When I got TMS it was the same way... "Is that burning pain there.... oh ... YEP.. there it is!". It's like having a broken tooth in your mouth you can't stop playing with.

when I caught myself doing this, I would immediately shift my attention to a personal problem.... finances, bad relationship, job I hate,etc.. As Sarno said, this reconditions the mind and tells it we know what's going on and are not falling for it, because just as OCD is a distraction from the REAL problems, so is TMS.
    You will wake up one morning and be half way through a cup of coffee or even at work and look up and realize "Hey... it's GONE!".... and it will be.

The way you describe the obsession is very honest and I can assure you we all went though that phase. You will get past it.

peace

Lainey likes this.