1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 19 Changing who you are

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by HPJM, Aug 22, 2015.

1. HPJM

HPJM New Member

To what extent is it necessary for a person to change who they are in order to overcome TMS?

Well, you hear of people being cured just after reading, so that rules out any personality change happening other than simple insight. I think all we need is more insight and awareness. Seeing our personality patterns, our emotions, our issues. Journaling is about awareness, not necessarily about changing anything other than your level of mindfulness. It is just breaking that link between the emotions and the physical symptom.

Since starting this program have you done anything that makes you proud? Where does this sense of achievement come from?

I’m very hard on myself, so pride is a rarely felt emotion. Pride in the context of TMS? Sure. I am working out pain free now, and I'm proud of that. The only downside is I’m starting to take it for granted, before TMS, exercise was like a holy grail. So I have to keep reminding myself how lucky I am I found this. And proud for not giving up, and resolving it.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, HP JM.

I don't think we have to change. We just have to modify our perfectionist and goodist personalities. Bring them more in line with being average.
    Not expecting so much of ourselves or others. Not knocking ourselves out so people like us and approve of us.

I have had more than 40 books published but almost none of my family or friends has read any of them. They seem to not care about me as a writer, but I know they love me as a person. That's okay with me. I'd rather be loved for myself than liked as a writer.

HPJM likes this.