1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 7 Changing symptoms

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Amory Clay, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Amory Clay

Amory Clay New Member

It has taken me longer than 7 days to get here - I took a break for a week, only to discover that Day 6 is a break anyway! My pain levels are better - I have gone from consistent pain to occasional (pretty acute) episodes an this feels really hopeful. For the last 6 months I have had strange tingling numbness in my lower legs and in the last couple of weeks I seem to have acquired some involuntary spasm which affects both hands - it also feels tingling and nerve related. It is visible to others if I hold something up/out, but otherwise is something I can keep to myself. Is this all part of the journey? I am guessing it is - it is just reassuring to hear from others.

I have now got to the bit which asks "Are you having success at recognizing the emotions connected to your pain?" and I think this may be the issue I am facing - I believe this will come with time but at the moment I can only manage this when it is acute - so, sharing some of this stuff with someone else the other night I got sharp stabbing pains whilst I was talking. That is the really obvious stuff but there is a lot more subtlety at work than this.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Howdy, the weird new tingling is likely TMS. It's just a symptom substitution, which is a near universal part of treatment. It's a good sign and it means your brain knows you are losing fear of your symptoms. Keep up the good work! Also, don't worry too much if you feel you're having trouble pinpointing exact emotions that are causing your symptoms. For many TMS sufferers, the pain starts as an acute response to stress/difficult emotions, but it eventually becomes programmed to activate all the time, making it chronic regardless of whether the triggering stress/emotion is even present. So, you may feel pain when there is nothing bothering you subconsciously or consciously. That's fine. Just reassure yourself you are not in danger, and that any stress etc. you are experiencing is okay.

To find emotions connected to pain, it's best if you can trace the beginning of your pain, however far back that may be. For me, 13 years ago I got IBS with constipation symptoms for the first time after a huge falling out with my mom. Two and a half years ago, I had chronic fatigue syndrome like syndromes begin after a brutal summer that included a falling out with my dad and brother, as well as some very difficult medical issues with my daughter. Eventually, other emotions/stress started triggering those symptoms too, and they eventually just became constant. All is better now. I think I explored most of my emotional issues, but I don't think it's critical that you unravel everything. It's more important to just fully convince both your conscious and subconscious that you know the pain is fake and it has no purpose anymore.

3. Amory Clay

Amory Clay New Member

Thanks you for taking time to respond - this is very helpful and reassuring. I am glad that you have managed to reduce your own symptoms - it is a fascinating journey!