1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 20 Changing my life

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MrPositive248, Mar 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MrPositive248

MrPositive248 New Member

If I had to pick one thing to change about my life? I would like to have read Dr Sarno’s Book about 30 years ago. I might have avoided a lot of unnecessary misery. Unfortunately there are no time machines, so there is not much I can do about this.

Today I would like to have more friends. The back pain isolated me. My world was reduced to sitting in a recliner with a heating pad watching TV. I’m trying to get out more now and meet new people. I made a couple of new friends at the gym, but this is hard for me. It often requires that you be vulnerable in order to connect with people, but who wants to be vulnerable?

2. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

I'm inspired by this! I can confirm the sense of isolation that pain causes when it becomes a chronic problem. I missed parties, dinners, church services, gym, concerts all because of pain. It can rob you of the best things in life. It puts strains on relationships. It makes you less adventurous. One of the important steps in overcoming pain is to start doing the things you used to do before the pain started. Show yourself that you CAN do it, even if it's uncomfortable at first. I'm guilty of giving into the pain just to get some relief. But it doesn't have to be that way for us!

Good luck to you on this journey!