1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 33 Changes since starting program

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by SSS, Jan 8, 2022.

1. SSS

SSS Peer Supporter

The biggest change I have had in my life since starting the program is my understanding of my pain as TMS and not a structural defect or problem in my body. This also means that this pain will go away vs. stay with me forever. That makes a big difference in my attitude to the pain. I'm working on not blaming myself when I have pain - if its TMS why can't I make it go away. Instead I'm trying to focus on positive outcomes and that the pain will go away eventually.

2. Vedra

Vedra Peer Supporter

After a relatively pain free summer I'm back again with pain, the programme and exactly your question : if it's TMS why can't I make it go away? What strategies do you find helpful when working on not blaming yourself; I think I know what you mean by 'blaming' and my instinct is to hide away or pretend in front of other people that there's nothing wrong. Do you mean that you feel ashamed of the pain or ashamed to be weak? I can't talk about my pain to anybody, fearful that it will flare up. Good luck with trying to be positive.

3. Vedra

Vedra Peer Supporter

4. SSS

SSS Peer Supporter

I'm trying to use breathing, short meditations and self talk - e.g. reminding myself that this is TMS pain not structural, reminding myself that pain is not a constant, its nature changes and it comes and goes, and will get better.