1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Change in symptoms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by DC123, Jul 22, 2016.

1. DC123

DC123 New Member

I am truly grateful to have found this forum and to hear everyone stories. It has helped me so much during my recovery. I had a question about how fast symptoms can change and if anyone else has experienced something similar.
    7 months ago I was in a car accident. I started with severe mid back and sacrum pain. After a month my pain somewhat decreased but was still intense enough to where I could not exercise, do yard work, or any other physical activities. I went through 2 chiropractors, 2 physical therapists and a neurologist. None seemed to help until I found Dr. Sarnos book "Healing Back Pain". Like most it was a miracle to see the results. Within 3 weeks of reading his first 2 books I was able to exercise and do yard work. I still have some conditioning of symptoms to fight here and there but for the most part I am approaching feeling "cured".
    Now here is where my story takes a turn. During the past 3 weeks I have suddenly developed stomach issues. After every meal I seem to get bloated so much that it causes slight pain. This last few days has been the worst.It feels like a balance scale. The less back pain the more stomach issues. I went to see a Dr. who thinks it is only gut flora but I wanted to see if it seems like TMS can jump symptoms this fast? And if anyone has experienced something similar where if one symptom went away anther came just as fast. Any information would be so helpful. I feel like one of the things I don't get to experience is the group meetings and this might be as close as it gets.
    Thank you guys,
    DC

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

What you are experiencing is a very common phenomenon which Sarno calls the symptom imperative or symptom substitution. Most of us have had a wide variety of TMS symptoms, sometimes simultaneously, sometimes in quick succession.

Just treat them all as TMS. It is good to always check out a new symptom to ensure it isn't something serious, like you did. But then just keep working on your TMS.

Best wishes...........

birdsetfree likes this.
  3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi DC. @Ellen is right, and we've all been through it.
    If you haven't tried it, I'd suggest working through the SEP on this wiki. It's a marvelous resource that helped m get my life back.
    Blessings as you heal.

4. nelle

nelle Peer Supporter

Hello GIGI , what dose working through this sep on this wilki meen ? thanks nelle

5. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi Nelle.
    The SEP is the Structured Education Program found free of charge on this website. It's a program that takes 40+ days to work through (no rush!). You'll read TMS literature, journal about various topics, try various techniques etc. It gave me my life back after my last severe bout of TMS pain. I can't recommend it enough!

6. nelle

nelle Peer Supporter

That looks interesting thanks Gigi !!, im not sure as yet if mine is tms pain.
    I wouldn't call my symptoms pain . More like very strange sensation .
    I just posted about it .
    Did you find your symptoms increased at all during the program ?.
    Nel x