1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Challenging Pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Opinion Tms family, I know challenging your pain threw physical activity is a way to face your fears towards your pain, but is it not another form of resisting your pain?

2. Mala

Mala Well known member

I don't think challenging it a good idea as such. The idea of challenging something may cause resistance & negative emotions. So up your physical activity but by doing something u really enjoy . More activity sends signals to the brain that the body is Ok & produces endorphins. It's a struggle at first but with practice & over time it gets better & easier.

Mala

3. Boston Redsox

I agree Mala thx you…but as you are in the middle of that activity and pain comes up I address that is there tell myself its tms and move on sometimes it goes sometimes it does not…that where the challenge comes in where I say to myself am I challenging my pain?

4. Mala

Mala Well known member

I understand what u mean. I think when that happens u just talk to yourself calmly, take some deep breaths, relax & continue without judging yourself or overthinking. Not easy I know ☺️

5. Boston Redsox

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I think exercising is great if anyone can do it. I don't think it interferes with accepting pain.
    Exercise can take our mind off pain, or tolerate it, as Steve Ozanich said it worked for him,
    playing golf despite the pain.

Boston Redsox likes this.