1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Chairs

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Day-Cee, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Day-Cee

Day-Cee Peer Supporter

Hi Guys,

I hope you all do well... For those who followed my last post, I had a little flare-up about 2-3 weeks ago. It was doing better the last couple of days but since this monday (day where I was starting in my new business) its back again... Its a long fight :p

Anyway, I know that my pain is probably from the fact that I'm starting a new business, its a lot of stress and of unknown stuff... I left a corporate job where I was well paid and secure. Left it because I did not like my job...

But I'm also wondering, I know Dr. Sarno is saying that the pain can't come from sitting, but does that mean I could sit on a shitty chair without worrying?

I'm asking you that because I don't like the chair I chose for my office, and I'm wondering if this can worsen my pain?

thanks again for your help guys,

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Day-Cee, Dr. Sarno says chairs, matresses, orthotic inserts for our feet etc. are not needed. We have thousands of years to back that up in history. Caveman for sure, but even more recently the six months it took people to walk, ride a horse, or sit on a hard wagon seat from tbe east to the western territories. Its conditioning, and it can cause real pain, but the chair didn't cause it.

I hope you will read some stories here that will help convince you deep down that your chair will be fine. Much hope!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Day-Cee, your chair is probably not causing you pain. But thinking that it is could be the culprit.
    We get out of our mind what we put into it.
    Tell yourself a positive mantra: "My chair is fine. Sitting in it is not causing me pain."
    Try taking frequent breaks from sitting, to do some stretching and deep breathing.

donavanf and Lizzy like this.
  4. Day-Cee

Day-Cee Peer Supporter

I Know that the chair is probably not causing my pain since I use to have the same pain I have now with my old chair (at my former job), and I overcame that pain by stop being scared of sitting, although it was still the same chair at the time. Just wondering why it came back now with a new chair...

This make no sense... Freakin TMS lol

5. Abigail

Abigail New Member

Hey Day-Cee! I went through a whole chair thing myself, lol! I totally get it. I could sit only in certain positions, in certain chairs. It made NO SENSE! TMS is so bizarre. I conquered it by sitting in the offending chairs while reminding myself that sitting causes no pain, and that I am totally healthy. It worked! Any chair will do. :)

Alyssa5 and Lizzy like this.
  6. Day-Cee

Day-Cee Peer Supporter

Thanks Abigail,

Its comforting to know that somebody else had similar thing and was able to over come it...

I'll work on it... Thanks again TMS community. I'm not giving-up!

7. Abigail

Abigail New Member

You can totally do it!

8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes.

9. Birdie

Birdie Peer Supporter

Ohhhh, all the evil chairs out there! I can totally relate to this! About 3,5 years I was only able to sit on special chairs. They had to have a very soft seating surface, because always when I was sitting on a hard surface me sitting bones and the pelvis area between begun to hurt badly. Beside that the chairbag had to be in a 110 degree angle to the sitting surface, otherwise it would give me bad piriformis/sciatic pain. I always carried a special sitting pillow with me which was very soft an wedge-shaped. When we went out with friends or wherever I went I was anxiously looking for the right chair to sit on. How bizarre!
    Last year I went to a psychosomatic clinic to get some help with my insomnia and exhaustion. I did not get the help I wanted. But after 2 weeks my sitting pain was almost gone.
    There were really, really hard wooden horror chairs in the dining room. One day I forgot to take my special pillow with me and did not want to run back to my room only for the pillow. So I decided to eat as fast as possibe to avoid "damaging" my sitting bones. I already knew about TMS, what a shame. But at this point I was so desperated, depressiv and hopeless, that I did whatever I coulc to avoid pain and discomfort...even if I knew this was all wrong from a TMS perspective. Well, at this day I got so involved in an interesting conversation that I sat on the horror chair for about half an hour....with zero pain! ;-)
    I then refuced too sit on my special pillow. I am still suffering from occasional bouts of sitting pain, but only when I am stressed out. And the pain usully disapears 2 or 3 days later.

10. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I could only sit and drive in my car with a certain (although growing over the years) pile of pillows to "keep my neck straight" so I would not feel my lingering whiplash pain. When I treated my foot pain with Dr. Sarno's approach, I noticed my need for special pillows for driving went away! Hang in there. It is all in the mind.