1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 25 ch..ch..ch..ch..changes, turn and face the strange (thanks Bowie)

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by movingcloud, Oct 26, 2012.

1. movingcloud

movingcloud Peer Supporter

Today I am asked to review what changes have happened to me since starting the PPD. Well, there have been a few....some subtle, some less so.

The GOOD.
    I have learned to attend to my thoughts - as much as I can. (The thoughts repeat themselves a lot.)
    I divert to thinking about emotional issues when I feel more pain coming on - and I can reduce that pain significantly by realising what's going on.
    I have recognised "people pleasing" tendencies - and said "no" - once in a major way, and there was fallout with others. I am dealing with the anxiety that came by doing this.
    I have challenged one or two things people have said to me, that previously I would have interpreted as hurtful - and the world did not collapse.
    I am sleeping much better.
    When I notice tension in by back I relax and come into "now".
    The pain is often down to 4/10, and that's FANTASTIC!
    Having decided to put more creativity into life, I am getting rolling on making it happen.
    Exercise is now a very high priority in my day.

The UNSORTED
    I sometimes wonder how much Non-TMS people of my age get tired and struggle towards the end of the day - what is "normal" and what can be attributed to unresolved anxiety etc.
    I am a bit bored of journaling, but realise I probably haven't touched on about 6 personality traits, and 10 things on my list. In the back of my head - or maybe my unconscious? - I think I may be avoiding something, but I don't know what it is!
    I have not yet thrown away the painkillers, but I'm not using them as much as before the PPD.

Ami likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

In honor of the title of this thread

Ziggy Stardust is by far my favorite Bowie.

It is great to see that you are making progress. It sounds like you are beginning to think psychologically and pinpoint some of the personality traits and past events that contribute to your symptoms.

If you find that you are getting bored or tired with certain techniques switch it up some. You could incorporate more meditation or simply find ways to increase your activity level. Could you be avoiding something? Sure, but that is why being patient is so important. It can take time for you to reach a point where you are ready to explore and process everything. Don't worry so much about the timeline. If something is there, it will come up in time when you are ready.

3. movingcloud

movingcloud Peer Supporter

Oh thank you Forest - its a long time since I've heard Ziggy. I was a child when he was famous, so didn't realise how incredibly innovative and creative he was as a singer until later. He used to write words onto bits of paper and shuffle them around until he liked something - there's an idea for moving away from journaling and into.....song? poetry? Sounds good to me!
    Also, what about "the people's choice" of music relevant to recovering TMSers???! The TMS music chain starts with......Bowie!