1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

certain exercises and tms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Sep 12, 2017.

1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

So I'm slowly adding exercises (especially those that doctors told me NOT to do) and I'm doing fine. I always feared of doing squat, deadlift, leg press and overhead press again. and i did overhead press, squats with no tms pain! progress! but today i went to leg press and tms symptoms kicked in.

is this caused by fear? I mean, could leg press actually hurt more than overhead press or squat?
    is it a fear response? (herniated disc)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  2. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

The rule I follow is that if it's the same level of exertion or little more and you did it before without any symptoms, then it is most likely TMS.

3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Leg press is very safe, don't worry! I do leg press with lots of clients who have way more severe injuries than a herniated disc, its likely a fear/TMS conditioned response.

4. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

I would say it was TMS. Squats and OHP places much more emphasis on your Nervous System than leg presses ever could. About 1 1/2years ago, I was getting a bad conditioned response from Trapbar Deadlifts. I woud hurt and be exhausted for a week afterwards.I started adding an extra high rep TBDL day each week. Not only did my pain go away, but more importantly, the fear went away. As a bonus, my strength went up very quickly. I went from 325lbs for 10 reps to 415lbs for 10 reps at 58yrs old with a rod in my thoracic spine and catheter threaded thru my spinal canal. Confidence is KEY in overcoming TMS. Good luck and put your faith in the program. It works !