1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Catastrophizing and Back Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Steve Ozanich, Nov 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

It's not easy to stop catastrophizing when the bills pile up.
    I think a lot of people with TMS have back and other pain because of economic worries.
    How do we stop worrying about them?

3. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

I have realised that my "catastrophising" thoughts have helped keep me in a cycle of chronic pain and fatigue lately. This is a good reminder to overcome those "all or nothing" thoughts. I have a tendency to think, "this will go on forever", "I'll never get better", or "I will lose my job and have to move in with my parents".

One of the things that stressed me out the most was the possibility that I would have to move back with my family, as I don't get along with my parents very well. My financial situation led me to think this was an inevitable outcome. However, I recently stopped working, and to my surprise my parents have agreed to support me financially to live out of home.

I realised that most of my worst fears do not materialise… but even if they do, there is no point dwelling on them in advance. I want to make the most of each day for "tomorrow will worry about itself".