1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

CARBS AND DIABETES

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Oct 22, 2013.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

With Diabetes and Insulin, Carbohydrates Count

It's easy to settle into a dietary rut when you have diabetes and take insulin. Once you've figured out a few menus that keep your blood glucose in a good range, you may feel like you can't stray from the formula. The same old meals and snacks may be nutritious, but they can become boring.
    What if there were a way to make your eating plan more flexible -- and balance your blood glucose better?

There is. The American Diabetes Association (ADA) says it’s known as counting carbohydrates.
    Carbohydrates are one of the three main parts of food. Fats and proteins are the other two. All three components can affect your blood sugar level, but carbohydrates do so more quickly, according to the ADA.

Carbohydrates come in three main forms: sugars, starches, and dietary fiber. Starch and sugars both raise blood glucose levels; however, sugars are digested more quickly than starches. Sugars are found in baked goods such as cookies and cakes, soft drinks, fruits, and dairy products, such as milk and yogurt. Starches are found in vegetables, breads, rice, cereals and other grains.

Your body doesn't distinguish between sugars and starches when it comes to blood sugar. What matters is how much you eat, not the type. The more carbs you eat, the higher your blood sugar level will be.

Just because carbohydrates make your blood sugar levels rise, that doesn't mean you should avoid them, the ADA says. Carbohydrates are an important part of a healthy diet. Good carbs to include in your diet are whole-grain foods, vegetables and fruits. Carbs you can do without are those found in candy, cookies, cakes, and soft drinks.

A few days ago I was in the supermarket and made the mistake of buying some packs of Trick or Treat candy for Halloween. I hadn’t had any candy in the house for more than a year. Now I find myself snacking on small pieces of milk chocolate. OMG they taste good, but I decided to hide them until trick or treaters come by on Halloween night or the candy will be all gone and I’ll have raised my blood glucose level. I am not a diabetic, but hey, I better not tempt fate. As the saying goes, “Out of sight, out of mind.”

Knowing exactly how many grams of carbohydrates you're eating is especially important when you take insulin. The size of your insulin dose depends on how many grams of carbohydrate you will consume, because carbs are what your body uses for fuel. The more carbs you eat, the more insulin you will need to help move the fuel into the cells. Foods that are high in carbohydrates often are high in calories, too. So, not overdoing it on carbohydrates may help you manage your weight. And, losing as little as 10 pounds may improve diabetes control.

Carbohydrate counting takes some practice, but it isn't difficult. Before you begin, talk with your doctor or dietitian. He or she can help you set a carbohydrate goal for each meal and snack.
    When counting carbs, you add up all the carbohydrates you plan to eat in one meal or snack. Then according to the ADA, you inject or take enough short-acting insulin to match the amount of carbs 30 minutes before you eat. This method gives you more flexibility in your meals, but the trade-off is taking more time to track your carbs through the day.

Get to know carbohydrate counts. Most of the carbohydrates that you consume are in fruit, milk and starchy foods such as pasta. Nonstarchy vegetables, like leafy greens, asparagus, or broccoli, tend to have less. While meats and fats, such as butter, have next to none. Buy an inexpensive carb-counting book and rely on food labels. Some restaurant Web sites list carbohydrates in menu items, too.

The rule of thumb is that you need one unit of insulin for every 15 grams of carbohydrates you eat, the ADA says. Your insulin needs may be different, however. Your doctor can help you determine if this formula is right for you.

Consider serving sizes. If a 1-cup portion of chili has 29 grams of carbohydrates, but your serving is 1½ cups, you need to count those extra carbs. Use a food scale, measuring cups, and measuring spoons when preparing foods at home. This helps train your eye to estimate amounts of carbs when eating out.

Remember, counting carbohydrates is just one part of a healthy eating plan. To learn more about how food choices affect diabetes, talk with your doctor or dietitian.

I hope a lot of kids come to my front door for trick or treating October 31st. If I don’t give away all the chocolate and other candy, I’d better toss it all out. Oh, maybe I could eat a few pieces a day. But how do I keep from eating it all?

G.R. likes this.