1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can't tell what's TMS and what isn't

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by MusicLover, Apr 23, 2018.

1. MusicLover

MusicLover Newcomer

New to the Forum and glad to be here ...

I discovered Dr. Sarno's work a couple of years ago and it's helped me immensely. For years I've suffered with everything from sciatica to neck pain, and I have no doubt that much of it is due to TMS.

The problem is that I can't distinguish which day-to-day "ailments" are from TMS, and which are simply structural or age-related.

I'm a 52-year-old male and healthy overall -- now. But I have beaten cancer twice (lymphoma in 1994 and spine tumors in 2014). I've had two invasive spinal cord surgeries, surgery for a broken arm, colon surgery (to remove pre-cancerous polyp), and I'm currently working with a specialized dentist to help get my TMJ fixed (yes, my TMJ is mostly a structural problem due to botched orthodontics years ago and a tooth extraction last year).

So I've had a lot of things thrown at my body over the years, including the surgeries, chemotherapy, anesthesia, scans, medicines. These things are all physical, not psychological, and I know they have resulted in my physical body being at least somewhat compromised.

But what about my still-continuing chronic neck and upper back pain? And intermittent sciatica? I know at least some of this isn't structural, because I have the classic TMS profile (buried rage about my parents -- which I'm trying to work through, people pleasing, dysfunctional childhood, perfectionist tendencies, worry about career, etc.).

The most interesting thing I've noticed this year is that when I go to the gym to work out (almost daily) -- or out to a restaurant -- the neck and back pain goes away, the sciatica goes away, all tension goes away -- nothing hurts at all. Even the TMJ gets better.

Then when I'm back home (and especially at night while trying to sleep) -- the maladies try to roar back.

Anyone else have trouble figuring out what's truly TMS and what's actually a structural issue? And, how do you work through it?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Hi MusicLover,

All you are feeling at this time is TMS, and your evidence is that all of it goes away when you're working out or enjoying dinner out. That's great news. Yes, you hurt, but it isn't a done deal that you have to. You have had a lot that is physical happen to your body, but what you're feeling isn't from the body. Treat it all as TMS, and emotional.

Here on the wiki there are success stories and educational programs. Good luck!
    Lizzy

MusicLover likes this.