1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Derek S. Can't get rid of recurring pain

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by alikhalife, Sep 7, 2015.

1. alikhalife

alikhalife New Member

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi, my lower back pain started 3 years ago, I had an MRI showing herniation l4l5.
    Pain lasted until I read Healing Back Pain for DR. John Sarno.
    I had been pain free for a whole year.
    But the pain reoccurred and its been 3 months with gradually escalating back severe back spasms an inability to stand up straight or walk.
    Until finally I saw an osteopath who relieved 60% of my pain.
    But I still cant bend down or engage in activity with out pain.
    BTW, I have ruled out the majority of my bothersome repressed emotions, and have been practicing that since more than a year ago.

Anyone have Ideas on why I still have pain?
    Thank you
    Ali Khalife

2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Thanks for your question, Ali.

First of all, it's great that you had a full year of being pain free! That is a massive piece of evidence that should give you a great deal of confidence moving forward.

So there have been 2 events which made a huge difference in your pain levels; reading Sarno and seeing an osteopath. What do these two things have in common? If I were to take a guess at what reading the book and seeing the osteopath did for you it would be that they gave you certainty and took away your fear.

While exploring your emotions is typically an important aspect of TMS recovery, you first have to build a strong foundation of certainty and belief. If you don't have these things nailed down, it is really difficult to make sustainable progress.

How did you respond when the symptoms came back after a year? Did it send you back into a state of doubt? Did it cause you to start worrying about whether or not there is something wrong with you and get you back into that preoccupied mental state?

Focus on getting back that confidence and certainty that you probably had while reading HBP. Since you have a disc herniation, see a mind-body physician to ensure that there is no doubt in your mind that the herniated discs are not the cause of your pain. Do what you must to rule out structural causes so you can stand up to the pain and not be scared by it. Practice outcome independence and make sure that you are tending to your anxiety and exercising self-compassion.

TMS recovery looks different for everyone and it is not uncommon to have symptoms come and go over time. Re-establish certainty, focus on self-care and continue on your way.

Best of luck!

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

JanAtheCPA likes this.