1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Can you see TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Kev74, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Kev74

Kev74 Peer Supporter

Can TMS cause symptoms you can visibly see? For me the back muscles on my left side are visibly tight and flat compared to my right side, which is causing the discomfort. So I know it's not in my head. And how do I know if it's TMS and not something else?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Kevin. The best way to know if any pain is structural is to have a doctor check you out. You know the pain is not in your head, because you can see it.

I don't think the SEProgram is going to help you. You have to believe in TMS 100 percent. But keep going in the program and see if you feel better.

And don't look at the pain. Try to forget it.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

TMS can take as many forms as the gray matter attached to your sub-conscious can fabricate--which is pretty much infinite. Some can be visible like skin conditions and hair loss for example. Step one would be to get an exam by a competent physician, preferably a TMS trained one who can be objective about mindbody conditions. Have you had your back checked out by a doctor to eliminate anything serious?

Edit: Walt has beaten me to the advice to see a doctor--but he can type faster since he's a professional;).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  4. Kev74

Kev74 Peer Supporter

Yes, I've been to the doctor and chiropractor. They didn't really find anything, except degenerated discs but that is nothing new. She thinks it's a muscle spasm. Although that didn't tell me why it happened or how to get rid of it. I have tried to ignore it, but it's not easy. I tend to obsess over it.

5. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

Hair loss is a TMS symptom? Really?

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, so do you BELIEVE the "degenerate discs" are TMS --OR-- "gray hair of the spine"/normal aging? BTW, save your money on the chiroquackters, spend it on a massage for some relaxation where you get more bang for your buck, or something else that will level out your rage/soothe ratio. "Muscle spasm" is akin to Dr. Sarno's "slight oxygen deprivation causing excruciating--but benign pain in the muscles, ligaments and tendons".

Boston Redsox likes this.
  7. Kev74

Kev74 Peer Supporter

Thanks for the reply. Honestly I don't know. I've analyzed it backwards and forwards and come to the conclusion there's no way of knowing what the catalyst was. I'm pretty sure it's not degenerated discs because I've had them for years. I wouldn't say the chiro is complete waste, they do give me a deep tissue massage and stims which does seem to help for a little while. But perhaps you are right and I should learn to relax more. I think I'll take a walk tomorrow.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  8. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I am in the same boat. I wish I had just pain, especially back pain, without any signs of damage on x-ray - then I would believe in TMS. Unfortunately, I have swollen, red hands and spastic fingers, visually bent. I calm my anxiety of disbelief by finding evidence that it is TMS. There is not much, but there is, and there are stories of recovery. Search forums for 'spasm' - things come up.

9. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Watch this video at 40". Dr. Schubiner explains how back muscles get tense in the emotional distress.