1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can you improve without 100% belief?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by zero76, Jun 29, 2015.

1. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey, okay let's put it this way, you've clearly exhausted your past and present stressors. But can you can say you are truly happy with your life? don't obsess with past events? are not anxious about your future? And are you grounded and living in the now?

2. riv44

riv44 Well known member

Sense of humor--very healthy. Extremely healthy. In fact, here is one of my favorite treatments.

3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh, classic, I love this show :)

4. riv44

riv44 Well known member

It makes a very important point for me about anxiety spirals with or without the pain quotient. I am such an obsessive by nature that it was only a matter of time before it manifested in my body. So, STOP IT!

Lunarlass66 likes this.
  5. kevinmichael

kevinmichael Peer Supporter

I have struggled with that question. I believe you can improve with out 100% belief. For example I think that you still can take some limited amount of medication and get some physical therapy.

6. riv44

riv44 Well known member

I
    Perhaps that depends on the purposes of the medication and therapy. Is it holding on to TMS? Playing on two teams? Or doing what you need to do to get back to functioning?

I still do PT but with the purpose of enhancing functioning. I need PT less and less, and I also don't feel depressed when I go there because now I report on my progress instead of my pain.

Socially and with family, I don't talk about pain anymore, well, hardly ever. That awful need to keep talking about it looking for empathy but actually driving people away...

7. kevinmichael

kevinmichael Peer Supporter

In my case medication is for sleep. I had a meltdown after four years of night shift. I also found out at a sleep clinic that I had severe sleep apnea. I use a CPAP and my interruptions have gone from 80 per hour to zero. The physical therapy I had for awhile seemed to help. I am not doing it anymore. I want to believe 100%. It is hard sometimes. For example this summer I believe I actually had food poisoning not a TMS event. I will never know.

8. riv44

riv44 Well known member

In my view, I don't think the mission is to give up everything that helps. Just the mindset. If what we are doing here becomes another rigid set of strictures, TMS recovery will turn into TMS! Please treat yourself kindly, and do what you need to do. Trust yourself.

Forest likes this.