1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Can you heal while on medication?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ewok2, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Ewok2

Ewok2 Peer Supporter

My pain had gotten to the level where I can’t function and I have been prescribed amitriptyline and some pain killers.

Is it still possible to heal with TMS while on such drugs or does it put all this on hold until you are able to get off the medications? Do they interfere with emotional processing etc.?

2. Mary80

Mary80 Peer Supporter

In theory, yes, because the drugs report the pain to an acceptable level and anyway if I'm not mistaken even in the protocol of dr. Sarno the medicines are used as long as they are necessary. can the most experts confirm?

Ewok2 likes this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Medications are fine and do not interfere with healing. Anything that helps you relax and feel better is grist to the mill. I avoided medication for years to my detriment because at that point, for some reason, medication was frowned upon in the TMS community. Looking back I think if I had taken them sooner both my pain and fear would never have escalated out of control.

I was prescribed Amiltriptyline and one of the side effects is that it induces the most darling deep sleep. This really soothed my trigeminal nerve and over time this was enough to bring my pain levels down to tolerable, manageable levels. So I only started to recover once I was on meds and in the space they gifted me with, I was able to listen to my instinct regarding how to move forward with healing.

So please don't worry about the nocebos regarding medication. They can give you the break and the breathing space you need.

Plum x

Marcoinpain and Ewok2 like this.
  4. Ewok2

Ewok2 Peer Supporter

Thanks so much. That’s what I was hoping was true. I am sleeping so much better too!

plum likes this.