1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can you change your screen name?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Penny2007, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Penny2007

Penny2007 formerly Pain2007

Is it possible to change your screen name here?

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes. Send a PM to @Forest with your request and he can change it for you.

Penny2007 likes this.
  3. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

I'm pretty sure that Dr. Sarno proved that you cannot change your screen name. Also studies in the JAMA have shown that once you select a screen name it can never be changed. So there you go, scientific proof!

Forest, Click#7, Cap'n Spanky and 2 others like this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

5. JanAtheCPA

But I'll try... I read your thread, and I get it. Just remember, changing your condition requires changing your MIND.

6. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

Funny because I have no idea why I chose my screen name, but everything in my body either clicks, snaps, pops, grinds, or cracks. Maybe I should have chosen "rice crispy". Here's a story...went out to dinner with my bro-in-law & sister last night. He's a podiatrist . I asked him about my knee and foot pain and he basically said the pain wouldn't go away as I am just getting old. And it was all coming from my spine ( because of back surgery). Told me my father had the same problem and it was all genetic. I tried to explain TMS and he laughed at me like you guessed it "you crazy lady". I was so pissed at him that when came home I threw Dr. Sarno's book at my husband and started swearing like a disgusting sailor. I feel horrible ! I have worked so hard to understand and accept TMS. I can guarantee that "regular" medical people are the WORST when it comes to TMS. I have changed my thought patterns to accepting what is bothering me psychologically in order to move past the distractions (or symptoms). I apologized to my husband and son...they didn't deserve my display of anger that deflected onto them. My husband has been so supportive and loving and truly believes I have TMS. Thanks for listening to my rant.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. JanAtheCPA

UPDATE: After checking in with Forest, Pain2007 is now Penny2007!

To anyone reading this thread, name changes have to be done manually, and old posts have to be edited, so requests are only honored on a case-by-case basis, and generally only for privacy reasons.

The alternative is starting over with a new account, but if someone has a lot of posts, it's understandable that they don't want to leave those behind. But the moderators have to go through the old posts, because we want them to scan, and not confuse future readers if the old name is referred to. Yes, yes - it's a perfectionist thing, we know :rolleyes:

New members will soon see updated guidelines for choosing a user name, with this recommendation: "...do not choose a name which refers to your condition, especially negatively".

Personally, I recommend just using a generic name that is not imbued with any particular emotional meaning. For example, a name that is overwhelmingly uplifting could be as much of a distraction as a negative name, and could also be regretted as time goes by.

I also recommend that a username be easy for others to refer to you in posts. Mine is an example. It's sort of a long name, but it's also pretty obvious that anyone can address me as Jan. Which happens to be my real (nick)name - but it doesn't have to be. Not that I was conscious of this back in 2011 when I joined the forum - that was just luck.

Cheers, all!

Penny2007 and Ellen like this.
  8. Penny2007

Penny2007 formerly Pain2007

Many thanks!