1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Can we start a new forum?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Goldy, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I go onto this site to educate myself and learn different tools to overcome my TMS. There seems to be a lot of people talking about symptoms here and on all the TMS support groups on Facebook. When I first learned about TMS, I went to them because I wanted to see if anyone else had the same symptoms (which is never the case really).

Talking and reading about symptoms will not help us at all. If I go on these forums, I still educate myself and learn, but I won't click on anyone venting about their symptoms because it actually sets me back and has me doubting and creating the fear cycle again.

It would be great to create a new forum where symptom venting is highly discouraged, and we just talk about constructive things to help instead of feeding the fear. People get out of TMS with so many different ways. I know some things that have helped that I'd like to pass along, and I will try everything and anything.

When I was on the "live chat" last weekend, I experienced the same. Someone said something, and it triggered my fear. I know we can't control what people say, but I have to be very careful right now in this stage that I protect myself. Talking about symptoms is the exact opposite of what we all should be doing.

birdsetfree likes this.
  2. aklurstein

aklurstein New Member

Most definitely

Goldy likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Goldy,

I appreciate your sensitivity to your own needs, and I think you have a great idea. Reading people's struggles is really not appropriate during many stages of the TMS recovery process. I know I got some ideas here, grabbed a Sarno book, and did several weeks of retreat, not coming onto the Forum at all.

We might create a separate subforum on this site where we offer suggestions only, no explanations of symptoms, or some such. You might message Jan or Forest on this. I am not an administrator.

In the meantime, I suggest you simply stick to the Success Stories subforum. And I support your idea to screen what you're exposed to here and elsewhere.

Andy

Goldy likes this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

That was my reaction - we already have a subforum devoted to success stories and what works. You just have to go straight to that subforum, and skip the link for "all recent threads".

But I also like Andy's first recommendation. Take a break from the forum, and do something else to nurture your spirit and calm your psyche.

Goldy likes this.
  5. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

Thanks! I will do that. I really hope others will do that too in the earlier stages because for me, looking at other people's symptoms on this forum or any support group is no different than scouring the internet to look up symptoms. I did that for two years, and it was probably the worst thing I could have done because it just fed my fears over and over.