1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Can we not dismiss MRI proof?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by cnote, Aug 15, 2016.

1. cnote

cnote Peer Supporter

I've been reading A LOT on Dr Sarno and TMS lately. I have a past history with bad anxiety, and I know that it can create symptoms and more pain.

However, I had an MRI done a couple of weeks ago, and they found a "broad-based" bulging disc in my L4-5 area.

My first symptom 2 years ago, which scared me to death, was severe bladder issues. I had the sensation of having to pee 24/7. But it was painful! Like you've been holding it on a road trip for 2 hours painful. This pain did not subside for nearly 2 weeks. My Dr was stumped. Then my lower back pain came with it, and he narrowed it down to a pinched nerve.

2 years later, I've continued my workout routines etc. and still have bad back pain, now upper back pain, muscle knots, arm pain etc.

That's when I told my Dr. I needed an MRI NOW.

So my finding was L4-5 broadbased bulging disc, and some DDD in a couple spots.

Logically, my brain tells me, since the L4-5 nerve roots control the bladder, legs and a whole lot of other things... how could TMS help me?

I will NOT do surgery. That is the LAST resort.

But what I've been doing is now stopping my heavy lifting workout routine, and just doing pure yoga, and meditation and stretching. All while visualizing "the discs healing themselves".

I truly believe if I keep thinking positive, and keep thinking "healing discs", that my pain will one day be gone.

Do you believe this? Are there any success stories on here of discs actually going back in and healing?

Thanks!! :)

2. cnote

cnote Peer Supporter

Actually, the more I'm reading these success stories... I'M ALL IN. It can't hurt to try! :)

3. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Here is some interesting evidence from my own MRI story.

27th Sep 2001: "CT Scan Lumbar Spine report. L5/S1: There is a central disc prolapse that could be marginally deeper to the left of the midline. It is slightly impinging on the thecal sac and on the left nerve root adjacent to the sac, the nerve root could be slightly decreased."

So began my chronic back pain journey. I had level 8 back pain due to the prolapsed disc (or so I believed)

Fast forward to 2014 I still had no life due to chronic lower back pain so I decided to have another MRI.

15th Jan 2014: "MRI Lumbosacral Spine. Indication: Chronic lower back pain for 12 years. Discussion: An MRI of the Lumbosacral Spine demonstrated no abnormality. No evidence of any significant degenerative disc disease was seen. NO ABNORMALITY DETECTED."

As you can see the pain was not related to what was showing on the imaging. Dr Sarno is right.

BBDiesel and Tennis Tom like this.
  4. cnote

cnote Peer Supporter

So, what you are saying is, is that your MRI showed that your L5/S1 healed on it's own, yet you were still having back pain? Are you still in pain? Thanks so much! :)

5. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

That is correct, in fact (after 12 years of pain) I was probably the most disabled I had been.

I am 90% pain free and enjoying life again. My recovery is thanks to this work and Dr Sarno. Read my success story if you want.

6. cnote

cnote Peer Supporter

This is awesome to hear! My pain seems to keep spreading. Dr. Says I'm fine. My biggest issue is fearing the pain and wjy its happening. I think that cycle is what's keeping me from healing. Its time to not be afraid anymore!!! :)

birdsetfree and readytoheal like this.
  7. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

I can tell you that is a rookie mistake of trying to visualize your discs healing. By performing that type of imagery you tell your deeper brain that your discs are causing your pain, which they are not. It also more deeply ingrains that there's something wrong, which there is not.

And remember the most powerful statement that Dr. Sarno made, "As long as he is preoccupied with what his body is doing, his symptoms will continue." So you should stop thinking about your back altogether.

Move to the next level and get into your life, and thinking and belief set. Still the waves of your mind.

SO

8. cnote

cnote Peer Supporter

Thanks so much for responding. This was an old post since I've started.

I have not been visualizing my discs healing.

I've actually just been doing life.

If the weird widespread body pains start up I just tell them to shut up, and I move on with my activities.

I've been running a mile nearly every night.

I feel so good after running. Also been doing some light weights, but lots of pushups and situps and planks.. I love it.

Boston Redsox and birdsetfree like this.
  9. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I also suffer from intermint burning body pain every day from my feet to my hands back where ever it wants to strike ....i go about my life with no anger or resentment towards my pain....The best advice I got was listening to HBP with Dr Sarno voice helps me everyday

10. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Cnote do not try to heal a normal "abnormality." If you have not already, watch the two short videos I produced on pain facts your doctor may not tell you. Also see my newest blog post on best practices advice from the American College of Physicians.

Stop worrying about your spine and start living!

11. cnote

cnote Peer Supporter

I've moved past this. Its an old post. :)

12. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Good for you!

13. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2016