1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

can TMS mimick UTI sympotms?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by rabbit, Apr 8, 2015.

1. rabbit

rabbit Peer Supporter

Anyone had any experience with this? I know stress can cause UTIs but I am wondering if TMS can mimic the symptoms: trouble urinating, burning and pelvic pain (not necessarily while urinating). My TMS is in its usual spots, but also moving around and am curious if anyone has experience with TMS mimicking but not actually causing at UTI? Thanks.

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Yes. The brain can, and will, create any symptom to both divert your awareness, and to send a message through your body. UTIs are common, and anything else that may have the characteristics of the original symptom. Some people feel like they're having heart attacks with TMS, but it's often only the chest muscles contracting.

But also be aware, that the infection doesn't cause the UTI, the infection is the result of the tension. The infection comes in after.

I could write a book on just TMS symptoms alone, but what good would that do? It would only cause more problems because to heal you have to stop paying attention to what your body is doing. To quote the good doctor, "As long as he is preoccupied with what his body is doing, his symptoms will continue."

Your brain is hoping that you will poke and peak, and ruminate on how this looks like that and how that looks like this. As long as we worry and maintain awareness on the body, the brain is doing its job to keep us diverted away from the true cause.

Breathe. Relax. Forget about the characteristics of your symptoms, and then ask, what is my body trying to tell me? Why do I need this? What or who am I trying to avoid? What am I ashamed of? Where is my guilt coming from? Think psychologically.

North Star and BruceMC like this.
  3. cishealing

cishealing Peer Supporter

Rabbit, my experience is that TMS can mimic a UTI. But whether or not you have a UTI is readily apparent upon a simple dip stick urine test at your doctor's office. So better to get tested than to get a kidney infection by leaving a real infection untreated. In my case, I've come down with 2 UTIs within this past month. Both times testing confirmed a real infection. Do I think TMS caused these infections? Yes. I've never had so many so close together. In addition, for the first one I didn't feel better even after a course of antibiotics. Re-testing revealed the infection was gone, but the symptoms remained....thanks TMS. After learning there was no more infection, I recognized TMS for what it was and felt promptly better.

Hope that helps.

Cee