1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can TMS cause permanent damage

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Darcy, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Darcy

Darcy New Member

I know Sarno's basic premises behind TMS is that TMS cannot cause damage and is harmless, but I was wondering can the prolonged process of oxygen deprivation cause actual physical damage?

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

No. Everything is reversible except for amputations and death. Ischemia is a mild transient thing that occurs when we are in fight or flight. The body has an innate ability and wisdom to return to its normal state. The problem is not in the body tissue, it's in our thinking.

Ellen and plum like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Couple of things to add:

1. Don't get too hung up on the oxygen deprivation theory - It's a good way for beginners to start to make a connection with their physical selves, but in fact there are a LOT of physiological processes going on, and many different mindbody symptoms that don't fit the theory (which Dr. Sarno himself acknowledged in his later years). Breathing is one of the first things that anyone doing this work will want to work on - not just because of oxygen, but also because it has a physiological effect on the vagus nerve and relaxes the nervous system (I can never remember which one - sympathetic or parasympathetic) which is why it's the basis of so many mindfulness practices.

2. Above all, watch out for long term habituated stress - which actually can cause physiological damage. Whether or not such damage is reversible totally depends on what is being affected. The body absolutely does have an enormous capacity to heal - but it must be given the chance. You have to do the emotional work and establish some sort of mindfulness practice (our two free programs offer multiple opportunities to try out various techniques).

For example, autoimmune conditions are real physiological conditions - and having been diagnosed with RA just two years ago (which will cause permanent joint damage and even heart damage) I have no problem believing 100% that they are caused by stress and emotional distress - the same things that are at the heart of TMS symptoms. It's not like the medical community has a better explanation, and they have no problem saying that stress can make an AI condition worse - they're just not yet ready to say that stress can cause AI conditions. Many doctors also see remissions in AI - without knowing why or how.

Anyway, for an awesome explanation of the physiological result of long-term emotional stress, beautifully and compassionately written, I always recommend When The Body Says No, by Dr. Gabor Mate, MD. He did not work with Dr. Sarno, but he is recognized as another giant in the field of mindbody medicine, also for his work in addiction, and caretaker syndrome (which we Sarno devotees would call TMS). It might motivate you to stop wondering, and do the work. Easier said than done, but it has to be done.

~Jan

Gigalos, Ellen and plum like this.
  4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

This may be one of my all time favourite posts.

miffybunny likes this.