1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can TMS affect personality?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Zumbafan, May 17, 2015.

1. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

I am wondering if it is advisable to recommend Dr Sarno's work to someone with borderline personality disorder? I don't understand the disorder, realise the sensitivity, and don't want to do more harm than good.
    Thank you.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Zumbafan,
    I suggest you put that in the Ask a Therapist section. I am curious about what they'd say!
    Andy B.

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

What's "borderline personality disorder"? Can you give an example please? I think I see a lot of this on the tennis courts, people who call my shots out that are bordering on the line armscrosseddenial.

4. Zumbafan

OK, thanks Andy, I will ask a therapist.

TT, borderline personality disorder is characterised by unstable emotions, sudden shifts in mood, irrational and impulsive tendencies in people, to name a few things. The person I know, is highly gifted and talented, but cannot stick with anything for long, so the job situation is constantly changing. I see a big fear of being rejected in the individual.
    So, I don't want to launch in with Dr Sarno, if it would cause upset.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Better not mention TMS to someone with a personality disorder before getting advice from
    a TMS therapist.

A friend of mine's son is 40 and has a lifelong personality disorder and is living happily (with his parents)
    and is earning a good living. It doesn't have to be the worst thing in the world.

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

My friend's son is bipolar. His mind jumps from one subject to another like a ball in a pinball machine.
    We and he can live with that. He's a very nice and caring guy.

7. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

You called?

Tennis Tom, Zumbafan and Markus like this.
  8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like everyone I know in California :confused:.

BruceMC likes this.
  9. Zumbafan

TT, that's ok, California was not on my holiday list anyway. lol