1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can slightly abnormal EMGS still be TMS? (CPPS/Prostatis/Pelvic Floor Dysfunction)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tmswikiaccount1994, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Hi all,

I've just decided this forum because I'm in desperate need of comfort/answers regarding my one of my test results. I want to know if even with 'slightly abnormal EMG results', my symptom can still be TMS. I seemingly match all the boxes for the TMS personality traits. Additionally, my symptoms represent alot of conditions that many people believe to be TMS equivalents - Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome, Non Bacterial Prostatis, Pelvic Floor Dysfunction etc.

I recently took a Urodynamics test for urinary issues I was having beginning of late last year. As apart of the urodynamics test they ran an EMG for my pelvic floor. While I wasn't provided a comprehensive answer to what was going on with me, the clinical document with the results stated that my "EMG was appropriate except at the end of voids" and shortly said I had pelvic floor dyssynergia.

Up until my EMG finding, I was under the impression that my urinary/penile issues were muscular in nature. I had spoken to 2 Uros that were adamant about my issues being caused by a hypertonic/tense pelvic floor, and even a Pelvic PT who told me I had a hypertonic pelvic floor... but now that i've gotten that EMG finding I'm seriously losing my mind. Could an EMG just be indicative of muscle tension as opposed to some nerve damage of a muscle?

Everything about me and my symptoms seem to represent a classic TMS case. In relation to TMS, my urinary urges/sensation move around (sometime on the tip of my penis, sometimes in the pubic area, sometimes in the bladder, etc) flare up by certain triggers (anticipation of long car rides/being around certain people) and had occurred during a period of high stress in my life. In addition, a few months later, I had also started experiencing random twitches/aches that were symmetrical, which my TMS therapist had believed to be a hall mark symptom.

Because of the 'slightly abnormal finding' i had done a complete neurological work up (Brain MRI, Neck MRI, Spine MRI, EMG/NCV, and EEG), all of which came up normal with the exception of what my neurologist had believed to be a chronic mini stroke in the cerebellum. He wasn't even entirely sure that it was a stroke since I hadn't exhibited any symptoms that are associated with the cerebellum. Even if it was a stroke, they told me it wasn't recent, as in it couldn't have happened around the time I got my first symptom.

I'm not exactly sure where to go from here and I'm freaking out.

TLDR; I got slightly abnormal findings on my Pelvic floor EMG and im scared shitless.

Attached Files:

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

My seriously abnormal EMG was nothing more than TMS noise. I recovered and am doing better than before. It is very common that people get all kinds of "abnormal" test results followed by some very scary sounding diagnoses, get referred to all kinds of invasive and useless treatments, all to eventually recover using TMS approach.

Baseball65 likes this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

All of us who have gotten well, used to have tons of 'real' symptoms like your EMG 'anomaly'. I used to be told I had serious nerve degeneration on those EEG (?) tests.

Dr Sarno's point was, all of these 'anomalies' are a normal thing and the symptoms is just there. I haven't gotten an EEG in twenty years so I don't know...maybe Mine is till 'abnormal'... but that wasn't what was causing my pain. Becoming familiar in medical nomenclature and getting obsessed about details in disciplines we didn't formally know exist is a Hallmark of TMS.

JanAtheCPA and TG957 like this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Obsessing about details - this is your brain on TMS.

Just Say No!

TG957 and Baseball65 like this.
  5. sheltered

sheltered Peer Supporter

Fear is the path to the dark side…fear leads to anger… anger leads to hate… hate leads to suffering. Then you get TMS!” - Yoda

Being "scared shitless" is definitely not helping the cause here. Stay positive.

I was told my sacrum was abnormal. As Basebal65 points out, lots of "anomalies" and abnormalities if you go looking for them. Keep working on letting go and things will present themselves for you. Good luck with your journey!

Baseball65 and JanAtheCPA like this.