1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can Scar Tissue become painful due to TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ac2448, Jul 30, 2018.

1. ac2448

ac2448 New Member

Hello,

I started with pelvic pain months ago. Originally it was only urinary symptoms and a severe pain in my left groin. This gradually got better as soon as I started PT, but then I started with pain in my tailbone. This also gradually got better.
    One day during physical therapy, my therapist touched on a scar from a previous surgery and i felt a lot of pain. This scar was from a surgery to close an anal fistula. The scar to close up the fistula is located between my anus and perineum. We began working on this scar tissue area to break up adhesions. Prior to this, I had never experienced pain in this area of scar tissue or had much discomfort at all. I have been dealing with a raw stretching feeling in the scar tissue area, as well as a deep ache in that perineum location since that area was first touched.

Could TMS cause these specific issues to hurt and be sensitive to touch? Is it likely to be the cause, as I had never had any prior trouble with the scar tissue until then when I was already very anxious and worried about my other symptoms and my physical therapist happened to touch that area of a previous surgery? The pain tends to evolve, either being more sensitive to touch or being more of a deep ache, and increases or decreases in severity.

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes absolutely...TMS can take the form of hypersensitivity, I have seen this many times with my patients (not even specifically treating them for TMS). Often this occurs when there isn't even a scar! But a scar is a natural place where TMS could come back, as there was probably some pain when the surgery first happened.