1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can Pain Start Anywhere?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Stephanie71, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Stephanie71

Stephanie71 Peer Supporter

I have a question, as I continue on this journey. Can pain begin anywhere in the body? Sarno speaks about pain only being in postural muscles and then affecting nerves and tendons in legs and arms. My pain began years ago in the back of leg/thigh/knee area, but I didn't experience low back pain until a bit later. Sort of like sciatica in reverse, if that makes sense. I would love some clarity on this.
    I know I have TMS. I am just trying to defeat and get clear (and get support) on every gosh darn GREMLIN of doubt and uncertainty that pops up in my pesky brain. Thanks for replies.
    In other news, I have recently started working the curablehealth.com app program, and I highly recommend it.

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

It absolutely can start anywhere! Old injury sites are common, as are postural muscles, but honestly i've seen it all over the place. There isn't always a great pattern to it. Let me know if you have a specific question, but yes pain could be in your leg and then your back later if it is TMS.

Click#7 and Stephanie71 like this.
  3. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

I was making good progress with my lower back ..hip pain and bam then the left knee began hurting and snapping ? Any suggestions ? Should I consider this SI or go see my doctor ?

4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Stephanie71 likes this.
  5. BCS

BCS Newcomer

I've been dealing with a sort of Sciatica situation for the past few years that goes like this....I feel a twinge in lower back (slight pain that over a few hours gets worse and worse) Six hours later full on pain level of 8 or 9 shooting from lower back down the leg. Next morning is usually the worst making the second day very hard to do anything. Usually pain is gone in 5 or 6 days but in my current situation, its been two weeks and I still have pain in the lower back in the original location. I am fully aware that the pain is TMS related and usually understand what triggered the event but I find it hard to get rid of it. Are the muscles/nerves actually damaged during the TMS event itself? If so, do they need time to heal? I often think that it is still all in my head in the days following but not sure. The pain is not moving around but is still in that original location and slowly gets a little better everyday. Does anyone have any tips or guidance to lessen recovery time. Thank you so much.

6. FredAmir

Been through exact same thing with sciatica in both.

Are the muscles/nerves actually damaged during the TMS event itself?
    No. I recovered completely and quickly.

If so, do they need time to heal? There is no damage so no need for time to heal. It's just reduction of blood flow.

7. BCS

BCS Newcomer

Thanks for the help FredAmir, the pain just comes on, there is no actual real strenuous activity that causes it to happen so I don't think there's damage. Any tips on a quicker recovery?

8. FredAmir

You are welcome BCS.

The first step is what I call "The Rapid Recovery Mindset."

You have to set your mind that no matter what happens you will conquer TMS. Nothing is going to stop you from reaching your pain-free destination.

Then begin to take slow but steady steps toward complete recovery.

You can click on my image and read my story for more information.

Take care,