1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Can my brain cure my back pain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by yb44, Oct 4, 2018.

1. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Dorado, HattieNC, Sofa and 2 others like this.
  2. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

What interests me the most about that article is that people even get better when they know that they are taking a placebo pill. I was reading two books by Kristin Prevallet called 'Visualize Comfort' and 'Resourceful You', which both (in part) discuss the placebo affect. 'Visualize Comfort' talks about a hardware designer in Silicon Valley in the USA called Nancy Dougherty who found that she felt better taking placebo pills. Someone filmed (unfortunately rather amateurishly) a talk she gave about it, which is on YouTube that I found interesting: .

Nancy labelled some placebo pills (which she called 'mindfulness pills') individually as being for 'focus/willpower', 'energy', 'calm' and 'happy', and embedded sensors in those placebo pills...Even though she knew that they were placebo pills the data collected and analysed from the sensors that went to an app on her phone showed that when she took, for instance, an 'energy' pill her heart rate went up and when she took a 'focus' pill she was more productive. I guess the pills primed her brain.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    HattieNC and Lizzy like this.
  3. Rainstorm B

Rainstorm B Peer Supporter

Good to see some of this stuff getting mainstream coverage at last - big piece in yesterday's Times too (can't link to it because of their paywall). The programme is on the BBC tonight for those in the UK.

Sofa and BloodMoon like this.