1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can I just see a therapist

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Raj s, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Raj s

Raj s Peer Supporter

I am from India. I dont know if there is any TMS doctors nearby here. Is it fine to go a pyschologist and explain him my situation and go for psycotheraphy..

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Raj s

Raj s Peer Supporter

Any suggestions on my previous post?

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I think it would be okay if you went to a psychologist and told him or her about your pain
    but asked if they know about Dr. Sarno and TMS. My experience is that some psychologists
    are not really helpful and just want us to keep seeing them for the money they ask.

I would instead read more about TMS from the forums and books. Pain is usually caused
    by our mind. We can journal to learn what is troubling us.

Ellen and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  4. William

William New Member

I live in Oklahoma and had to drive to Dallas TX to find one. To be honest with you it wasn't much of a help she knew a little but I feel I knew more about it than she did. I read Sarno's book and it was the biggest help. I still have problems with sleep at night due to back pain. Bill K

5. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Was the therapist on the practitioner's list here at the board?

6. Tennis Tom

You could try skying or by phone, try SteveO for one, I'm sure he's listed somewhere on this site, email him.

7. William

William New Member

Yes, Dr. Barta from the Dallas area. She has discussed my past issues with me but has not really provided me with practial steps to take before bed.

8. Tennis Tom

Here's SteveO's info:

Survey Response: Steve Ozanich

This survey was last updated in December 2013.

Degrees/Licenses Held:
    Associates in Science, Bachelors of Science in Engineering, MBA, License to Kill from Interpol

Contact Information:
    SCRMusic@aol.com
    PainDeception.com

What sort of services do you provide? TMS consulting/coaching

Number of years in practice: 10 years coaching, no more practicing, I have it down.

Number of years in practice with clients who have TMS: 10 (see above)

Number of clients you have seen who have had TMS: All of them had TMS, averaging 2-3 per week for 10 years.

What is your association to the TMS community? Author, blogger, all around good guy

Have you ever suffered from TMS? Yes—everyone has.

What insurance plans do you currently accept? No insurance, only accept VISA, PayPal, sometimes chickens or pigs

Do you have a sliding scale of payment for people who are not covered by insurance?
    $100 per session: If someone truly can’t afford it I try to help for free. I believe everyone should have a shot at being pain-free.

Are you able to conduct sessions over the phone and/or via internet video services (i.e. Skype or FaceTime)?
    Yes, I do consults over the phone, and with my face on Skype.

What have you done to educate yourself about TMS, and what plans do you have for further education about TMS?
    I’ve read all the TMS books, spoken to several TMS MDs over many years, as well as, other TMS practitioners, and researched for 10 years writing my own TMS book.

Please walk us through one or more examples of what happens during a session, and how that changes over the course of working with a client.
    Every person or “case” is different in that they need something different in order to get on track, or unstuck. Some need generic “TMS-101” advice, some need moral support, others need a guide through the fog of confusion, some want to know if they’re doing the correct things, others just want to talk or cry, and yet others want to hear about the spiritual aspects of healing and awakening.

A session lasts at least an hour, no less. I check to see if they’ve been worked-up with an exam. Then we get into what’s ailing them, and it almost always turns to their relationships, and fear.

As we are going to post your answers on the TMS Wiki, feel free to write some text to introduce yourself:
    Hi I’m Steve, I’m Capricorn. I love long walks in the rain, slow sunsets, and puppies. I’ve done over 40 radio interviews on TMS, and have written dozens of magazine articles on TMS, and hundreds of blogs.

DISCLAIMER: The TMS Wiki is for informational and support purposes only and does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment recommendations. See Full Disclaimer.

9. tarala

tarala Well known member

I agree with Walt, Raj. There is so very much you can do for yourself, starting right away and for free. An excellent place to start is the Structured Education Program on the main wiki page (found on the menu on the left). I think even Sarno said that not that many people actually need therapy to heal from their pain.

10. tarala

tarala Well known member

PS Raj, I think if you do really want extra help TT''s suggestion of Steve is a really good one. He is on Skype, is experienced in TMS, had it himself so he really gets it, and the very most important of all, he is hilarious. Psychologists should be able to help with the emotions, but many aren't in touch enough with their own to really facilitate others. And most know very little about mind body issues. Trust me, I know-- I am a psychologist.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  11. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

I worked with a TMS coach via Skype and it worked really well. The same as being in the room I think(and I am not a novice to therapy). I would recommend that for sure if you feel like you would like to work with someone. It really can help a lot.

12. Raj s

Raj s Peer Supporter

Thank you all for your suggestions. If I opt for therapy via skype how much they charge (approx) for a session?

13. Tennis Tom

As per SteveO's response above:

"Do you have a sliding scale of payment for people who are not covered by insurance?

$100 per session: If someone truly can’t afford it I try to help for free. I believe everyone should have a shot at being pain-free."

There is also a free service here at the site: "ASK A TMS THERAPIST".