1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can hear my blood pulse TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Time2be, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

I guess this is TMSing: since this morning I can hear my blood pulse in the left ear. And the carotid artery is also visibly pulsing the left side. This I saw already some years before. It doesn’t hurt and I have no other symptoms. A friend I called and who is a doctor told me to get my blood pressure checked immediately. I called ER here, after telling my story the doctor told me that she doesn’t evaluate this as an emergency. If I feel dizzy and have some other symptoms then I should call again. Then they would have me in as an emergency. Otherwise I could contact my doctor tomorrow.
    I had a walk for a out an hour together with a friend. In between I felt some panic. But nothing that really felt frightening. Now I am on the sofa and expecting a lazy evening.
    This pulsing sound in my ear is a bit annoying. But I don’t think it so bad that I cannot sleep. My doctor friend who is in Germany doesn’t understand that doctors here in Denmark don’t accept me as emergency. He send several messages about getting my blood pressure measured. I could ask the elderly people in my neighborhood, but no, I don’t want to go totally hysterical.
    So, did others have these symptoms? I guess I am TMSing.

2. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

I think we are unqualified to evaluate you. Having said that, these are TMS possibilities. I've had the blood pulse in my ear, and the neck is probably small muscle spasms, like when a hand trembles. Can you go to a fire department to have blood pressure check? Here in the states the emergency medical technician can check. However, given the situation, be very aware you might have white coat high blood pressure. We are talking about TMS tendencies, so your nerves are probably going to affect your blood pressure.

Hopefully a relaxing evening will take care of it.
    Lizzy

3. Time2be

Thanks Lizzie! I watched an old Woody Allen movie and go to bed soon. I’ll call my doctor tomorrow. Mostly I am frustrated about this symptom. I hate to have diagnostics. My doc will only send me to further diagnostics if he thinks it is necessary and I trust him. At the fire department they would be very astonished, if asked for blood pressure measuring. So, no, this is not a possibility here. I don’t believe I have high blood pressure. Usually I have the contrary. I’ll keep you informed. However, I will explore the psychological dimension ..again, again. And I thought I had reached a more safe point ..

Lizzy likes this.
  4. Time2be

Blood pressure is fine. Because I had thyroid surgery in November they took blood and see if everything is normal. I have an appointment on Thursday. My guess is that it vanishes as it came. I am simply overworked. And now I have holidays and have problems to relax. Partly because I have a work situation that troubles me. I entertain catastrophic thoughts about me being fired in the long run while a younger colleague gets all the merits. He is at the moment successful, but also very selfish. I did all the work for establishing the group, put some of my interests aside and made also sometimes the wrong decisions. My biggest mistake is to act out of fear. One has to be cool when you head of department wants yu to engage in all sorts of project applications which then in the end are not getting funded. I didn’t follow my own interest and knowledge. And one pays a price for that. I am wiser now ... but I am angry and also simply afraid.

5. NicoleB34

NicoleB34 Well known member

Pulsitile tinnitus. I have some history with this. Years ago, in my mid 20s, i suddenly woke up from a sleep with a pounding in my ear. It was going along with my pulse. It was scary! Few things to note, i woke up in a very crooked position with my neck, and also had a mild respiratory infection, so i figured that i had done something to put pressure on my inner ear. The pulsing didnt go away right away though, it was very loud for a couple days, then subsided. However, i was left with ringing in that ear. I do think that maybe i caused some sort of nerve irritation from the infection and odd sleeping position, but you see, i also became OBSESSED with the tinnitus. Mainly because I have a very turbulant history with insomnia. I can only sleep with ear plugs, however, putting in earplugs would lock in the noise. I would lay awake at night stewing and freaking out at the ringing. Sometimes i would get so anxious about it I could swear i heard it starting in the other ear. Sometimes i'd have nightmares about the ringing, it would sound deafening in my dreams.

This went on for about 2 years, but it got to a point i had to just accept it, or never sleep again. I dont know if the tinnitus became a TMS problem, and if you read up on central sensitization (a bit more of a physical brain explanation of TMS that doctors use) one of my auditory nerves could have been chronically irritated, and my obsession kept the neural pathways alive. I dont know. I do know now that it faded as i stopped caring. It comes back occasionally, and i simply notice it, but i dont panic.

Also, i think i just have a blood vessel that's close to that nerve. When i get a sudden anxious jolt about something, i can hear blood rush to my head (as my pulse quickens) and i hear that familar pulsing in my ear until the panic subsides. My eardrum also flutters annoyingly when i hear certain pitches. this is all in my left ear.

I should also note i saw an ENT who ruled out issues.

6. Time2be

Thank Nicole. Panic makes it much worse ...or maybe panic and anxiety is the root of all this. I had som pressure in both ears, some pressure in the sinuses, but no infection. I slept, calmed down and it is gone.
    The imperative is: calm down! Then everything else is easier to sort out.